Chapter 4

The next morning when Blake woke up, he started to cry. He was unable to discern why he was sobbing, but all that he knew was that this sadness felt as though it came buried deep from within. He could not stop. Was it the side effects of the spell? Although Blake's memory of his friend had been erased, his heart still remembered. His parents had erased the only person who for five years had supported and loved him like a little brother and had helped him grow as he often turned to Ipsy for advice. Still crying, Blake was unable to put into words the emotions he was feeling.

Once bringing himself back to a small sense of control, he arrived to the large library with heavy swollen eyes.

— Sorry for being late. I had a hard time waking up this morning.
Blake failed to relay the strange but deep-rooted sadness that had overwhelmed him this morning, but Blake had grown accustomed to keeping things from his parents.

— It's okay Blake.

Elena's guilt felt like it had ripped out of her body as she was responsible for her son's misery.

— Why is he here?

— Your father and I have news for you. We enrolled you at the local high school ago a few days and you start today. We know it won't be easy starting with one month's delay at your feet but...

— Oh no! It's nothing! Thank you so much!

Blake hugged them. It was the first time his parents had made a decision to please him and it had come at the right time given his state of mind this morning. What Blake didn't know was that Elena and Eden had acted with their guilt at the forefront of their decision. They wanted to be forgiven for the despicable action they had committed the night before. Blake was finally going to a high school and be in contact with people of his own age. Blake was at a much higher educational standard than his peers, but that didn't matter because all he wanted was to feel like he was part of a community, from outside the confines of his own home. All he wanted was to be a normal teenager. He was so excited, but felt deep down that it wasn't going to be easy integrate.

When he arrived, unsurprisingly, he was sidelined from the group. Blake had timidly hoped that he might feel welcome at the school and acquire some new friends. The other teenagers were polite and kind to him for the most part. Although he was entitled to a few "hellos" and some unwitting smiles here and there, people were wary of Blake and his family and chose not to directly speak to him. It was true that the Williams family had made little effort with the city's people, so much that some didn't even know Elena and Eden had a son. It was his parents fault that he had remained hidden from the rest of the world. He hadn't planned on sharing the reasons for his clandestine life as he didn't want to risk upsetting his parents. It was almost normal that the residents of the town were suspicious of Blake as he was the only child who hadn't grown up beside them. Blake didn't care, the mere sight of people other than his family filled him with glee. He indulged in the high school gossip, and was satisfied hearing of his peer's successes and failures. Still, he managed to alienate the top performing students of his class even further as he never failed to achieve an A in all the work he submitted.

The years passed and Blake kept to his somewhat passive school rhythm. He continued to excel at work and stayed out of trouble. He became hard on himself as he strove to be the best at all costs. It was imperative he sustain an outstanding academic career to give himself the best possible chance at escaping to a prestigious university. He needed to leave his parents and this place. Blake even intended to give the scholarship he assumed he would receive from his prospective university to a student who didn't have the means. His last academic year had already begun and Blake excelled as usual.

One evening on his way home from school, crossing the only road that led to his home, he discovered an opening to his left. It was a very narrow path he had never seen before. He was curious to discover who the newly arrived were as he hadn't heard any village chatter prompting this unusual event. So, he left the main road and rushed towards the small muddy path. He walked cautiously for he had no idea what he might find at the end. He did not want to look like a thief in front of the property owners.

After marching a few extra meters forward he suddenly saw a large and majestic gateway. It was incredibly beautiful and its majestic quality was made all the more apparent by the light that fell on it from the star-lit sky. Blake was amazed by the gateway. Embroidered with detail, Blake felt as though each piece was uniquely designed. It must have cost a fortune. It was then that Blake wondered if another rich family was to arrive here. He was sure of it. No inhabitant of Alvia could afford such a beautiful entrance of this kind which was bound to contain a huge property. Blake remained perplexed and wondered in front of the gateway until he he decided to enter it. There were no signs of human activity and so he concluded it was yet to be inhabited. He looked for a lock or a handle, but found nothing. He couldn't even find a side entrance, it was impossible to enter or to even see what was behind.

After multiple failed attempts to enter the property, Blake admitted defeat and decided to return home as it was getting dark, and he knew his mother would be worried. This place was impenetrable. Blake didn't expect to see anything exceptional behind the gateway but he couldn't quiet the urge to find out. As he walked back on to the main road, a noise caught his attention. The gate was opening. 

Blake was thrilled, but also felt panicked, and without knowing why, rushed to hide in one of the bushes along the edge of the path. Afterall, he didn't want the property owner, who had so obviously camouflaged this entrance, to find him. He waited for someone to come out, but no one ever appeared. After some time, the gate closed and he hadn't even had time to see the slightest detail behind this one. Before he knew it, the gate had already closed without his being able to catch even a slight glimmer of what laid beyond. He didn't have time to think about what had just occurred as he rushed back home. However, Blake knew he would be back to unmask the mystery that hid beyond this entrance. On the way back, he was still thrilled to have discovered such a finding. Blake was eager for adventure and he was glad to have found this place that was certain to keep him entertained for a while. He had managed to convince himself that as long as he befriended the property owner, then he would surely be given the opportunity to visit the park, the house and all that was contained beyond the entrance.