Chapter 14

In good spirits, the two teenagers prepared for a day they knew would be emotionally ripe. Meanwhile, Kate received an unexpected visit in Alvia. She heard the doorbell go.

— Just a second, I'm coming.

— Hello, Kate.

— Hello Elena.

— I'm not bothering you, am I?

— Not at all why?

— Is there somewhere we can go to talk? Somewhere a bit more discrete perhaps?

— Maya's gone for the weekend, so I'm home alone.

— What do you mean, did she leave town?

— To New York, to retrieve some papers for us. Didn't you know? Blake's with her.

— With Blake? Blake is in New York? Elena exclaimed.

— Since yesterday, yes. I thought he told you!

— No, he didn't.

Elena began to worry.

— Come in and I'll get you something to drink.

The two women walked into the living room. Kate could see that Elena was very worried

even though she knew she had nothing to be concerned about.

— Are you okay?

— Not really, no! Kate, I don't understand how you could let them go!

— It's only a short stay Elena! They will have a good time, Maya's been updating me the entire time, and they will be back before you know it.

— But they are two chosen ones. We have to be stricter about their safety. They are in a constant state of vulnerability since that night at the estate - anyone could find them now. Imagine if the king knew about this, he would do everything in his power to eliminate them. We owe it to each other to be even more vigilant.

— You're right, but I think they are safer in a city where there are millions of people as opposed to Alvia's tiny population of one hundred. You have to take a step back and let the cycle follow its course. The more we move forward, the more you will have to detach yourself from Blake. I know that you love him, I love Maya too, but you have to start to distance yourself for your own sake. Above all, you must not interfere in his decisions. We just have to wait now and hope that everything goes the way it's meant to.

— I know you're right. I guess terrible things are bound to happen up until the ceremony happens but, we have to protect them. I don't want you making any decisions without my consent in the future Kate. If it's about their security, then you must tell me. Have you heard from them?

— Yes, Maya is very happy, as is Blake. Might as well tell you now, I think they are already in a relationship.

— Oh god, not right now. This time, Elena collapsed. If this is true, and they really are already together, you can imagine what will happen next.

— Yes.

— I'm convinced that they will do everything in their power to eliminate them. You have interpreted the mark of their relationship the same way I did. It will become too complicated if we try and separate them for their safety now.

— I know, but this was inevitable. They would have always found each other, one way or another, they are linked. They don't even have to manage their feelings towards each other, because their souls are drawn like magnets. One thing is for sure, they will need our support, no matter their decision.

— Right. I'm going to head off.

— He's coming home soon anyway, and they haven't been any bumps on the road yet.

— Good. I'll cook him a good meal when he gets back. You're totally right, I need to start protecting myself. But I would like this discussion to stay between us. Don't tell Maya I found out about New York, Blake would feel trapped and I don't want to cause any friction between us right now.

— I understand, don't worry.

— See you soon, Kate. Thanks again for your advice.

Maya and Blake were heading out to the locations that reminded her of Melissa. There was a morbid poetry to the way Blake would explore the beautiful city, but it would hopefully help Maya heal. They went down rickety alleys; glassy shops; luxurious restaurants and placed a rose on the corner of each location that held a fond memory of the two girls. Where possible, Maya also bought a souvenir. Naturally, the beginning was the hardest part. Blake could see the pain entrenched deep within her resurface whilst she consigned the first few roses. Maya was still sad that her friend was dead, gradually, the self-resentment seemed to fade away and her face began to relax in an appreciating smile whilst she remembered.