Chapter 12

Blake watched everyday life exist around them as they strolled along the footpaths. Families went for a walk and ate, mothers took their children to play after at school, and fathers taught their sons how to ride a bicycle. All these actions made Blake feel a pang of jealousy and regret swell up in the pit of his stomach. He wondered at that moment, why he had not had the right to these simple moments. They seemed like such a fundamental part of being a child. He took note of the familial sites before him and promised himself that he would not repeat the same mistakes his parents made with his children.

A long branch that must have given way from a previous storm, lay beneath a tall tree and looked like an inviting spot to rest. Maya explained this is where she used to come play with her best friend. Her joy faded for the second that she recalled days spent with her. With all the excitement of their arrival, she had forgotten why they had left in the first place and these flashbacks were a bitter reminder. She saw a younger version of herself playing with Melissa, under a branch that was no longer there. She imagined them running, looking for wood and building something they pretended was a castle. Blake continued to walk and then realised Maya hadn't been following him.

— Maya?

Blake retrieved his steps, but she was thankfully not too far away. She stood motionless near the lake.

— Maya, what's wrong, are you alright?

— Uh yes sorry! I didn't realise how much I missed this city. My city... Maya replied wistfully.

— You'll come back, don't worry!

— Blake, you don't understand. I'm sad because I realise how much I have missed this place, but also because I know I no longer have a place here! I won't ever be able to come back.

— What makes you say that?

— Because that's the way I feel.

— But you love New York! You've been so radiance since the second we got here.

Blake did not understand Maya's sudden change of mood, her face had fallen, exposing an unexpected sadness. What had happened before she left? The young man questioned himself. — Come one let's go! The weather grew cooler as night fell across New York.

Maya cut the discussion short and tried to hide her emotions behind a fake smile.

— I'm hungry, let's go to one of my favorite cafes and then I'll book us a table at the best restaurant there is.

— Okay...

They chose the path that meandered slowly towards the famous cafe. Maya seemed like her mind was elsewhere, and it hurt Blake that she wouldn't tell him what was on her mind. He hated secrets and knew that she needed to be honest with him, or else their relationship would be doomed to fail before they even got the chance to start. He couldn't imagine entering into a relationship with a girl who was full of lies, just like his parents. As soon as they had left the park, Blake muddled together an excuse that required them to return to the penthouse.

— Maya, I'm tired! Take us back to the apartment.

— Okay, let's go home.

He didn't want to ruin everything and guessed that the dinner tonight would bring some sort of truth to their budding relationship. He didn't blame her, of course not. Afterall, they hardly knew one another. He had to accept the fact that she had a life before him, a world unknown to him. He couldn't help but feel disappointed and sick of all the secrets in his life.

— Are you sure you want to go back? There are so many things that you haven't seen yet! Come on, Blake...

Maya was feeling awfully guilty, she knew Blake was pissed off at her. Even though this place resurrected melancholic feelings, she wanted to stay here for his sake so that he could enjoy New York for the first time.

Neither one of them had spoken for a while. Their journey back had crisped from the bitter cold. Maya assumed that Blake had been offended by her desire to keep something hidden, but couldn't understand why he had become so suddenly distant. Maya didn't know Blake's past and how his youth had been founded upon lies and secrets.

— Are you mad at me?

— What?

— Do you hate me? Maya repeated.

— No.

Blake dismissively replied, confrontation was the last thing he needed whilst he was still angry.

— Blake, I can see that you're mad. Talk to me!

— No! Stop.

— Liar! You've been cold with me for a good half hour and I don't even understand why.

— Me? Lying? Blake couldn't believe what he was hearing.

— Yes you!

— Let's be honest with each other - which one of us is hiding something? I'm honest with you!

— How? 'And what?

— When you mentioned New York earlier, something happened, your expression and whole demeanour changed.

— It's nothing.

— And here we go again. You're lying.

— I don't lie!

— Then explain to me why you left New York! What memory darkened your expression like that! Tell me! Blake gave her one last chance to relinquish the truth.

— I'm sorry but I'm not ready to talk about that.

— Are you also going to tell me that this isn't the right time?

— Well it's not! I'm not ready to tell you certain things about my life yet.

— Well I'm not ready to commit to a girl who doesn't trust me enough to tell me everything. I know there's something unique between us, but it's not enough, I can't love you if you don't open up to me. I can't surround myself again with people who insist on lying to me.

— We'll we've not even really been together, it's been less than a week since we first met. I don't really know you, so it's not really going to affect me anyways.

These words had a huge impact on Blake, and Maya regretted them the second they escaped her mouth. These were words of anger, surely he knew that. Blake left the living room without a word and took refuge in one of the bedrooms.

Maya also left and slumped onto her bed, annoyed at what had just passed between them. She felt hopeless, and feared that she had destroyed their budding relationship. It was at that moment that she realised she loved him. She felt empty and feared losing him. She could not imagine what her life would be like without him and planned to do everything to gain his forgiveness. Maya realised that she had crossed the line, but she did not understand why he had reacted so violently to her shenanigans. She realised that their relationship was still new and fragile. They would have to share many things to say to each other if they wanted to move forward together. She regretted the way she had acted. The exhaustion of the day swept over her body as she thought of the way she was going to apologize and eventually dozed off.