Chapter 11

For the first time, Blake felt a palpitating sense of freedom, he was finally leaving this place! On top of that, he was doing it without his parent's permission. He had made a decision of his own accord and nothing had ever excited him so much as the prospect of this weekend. On the road, he let himself be carried away by the sound of the music, euphorically letting go of all consequences. Blake just wanted to live his life and have fun with Maya. She asked Blake to wait for her in front of her gate, she didn't have long but all she needed was her bag that her mother had already prepared. She swifty returned in two minutes.

— Let's go to NewYork!

— The hotel we're staying at is the best in New York! My parents rented me a suite, so we'll be quite close to the stores, to Central Park - basically everything!

— Awesome!

You could see the excitement pouring out of Maya as her speech became increasingly quicker.

She was so excited to leave and especially to be escaping with Blake. She wanted to see if he felt the same way as her. Blake still hadn't informed his parents that he wouldn't be returning this evening by the time they had arrived at the airport. The jet was parked in front of them ready to take off. He had to call them now. Blake turned on the speaker.

— Hello?

— Hey Mum, I've got to ask you something.

— Okay?

— I've got some big exams coming up at the end of term and so need to sleep at a friend's house this weekend so we can work together.

— Who is this friend? Your term finishes in two months?

— I know, I know, but it's a pretty hard subject and we want to do it in advance to make sure we're well prepared.

— Okay. You're seventeen now, your entitled to spend some time away from home, especially if it is for academic purposes. Keep me updated.

— Cool, thanks Mum!

— Good night Blake.

— See you on Sunday. Thanks again!

Blake hung up and the two teenagers ebulliently screamed as they got out of the car. This getaway was going to be a breath of fresh air for both Maya and Blake. Blake was finally going to discover the outside world. They got on the private jet and sat down in the large armchairs placed at the centre. The hostess told them some instructions and Maya fell asleep immediately after takeoff. Blake's eyes were glued to the landscapes that stretched before him in the window. He had never seen what the world looked like from this perspective - it was his first time on a plane. Unsurprisingly, each turbulent jolt of the plane caused his stomach to flip back on itself as he felt consumed by nerves. He was glad Maya wasn't awake to see this. After a few minutes, he let himself be lulled by the sound of music playing from his headphones.

The journey had no hiccups, and it seemed like they were arriving in the best possible conditions. Maya was over excited about showing her city to Blake. A driver waited for them on the runway.

— Blake, here we are! God I've missed it so much.

— This is going to be so much fun, I can feel it.

— Agreed! I have so much to show you, but I don't even know where to begin!

— Why don't we go to the hotel suite first so that we can drop off our things, and we can figure out what we're going to do!

— Perfect! I can't wait to see what our suite looks like, knowing my mom it's going to be pretty grand.

Maya and Blake sat at the back laughing whilst the driver took them to their destination. Neither one of them could stop talking, but Blake tried to absorb every inch of the bustling scene around him. This was the start of a life that Blake had always wanted. This was the most beautiful thing a person could give him and it was Maya who had done so. Without her, he would never have been able to leave Alvia before the end of the year. He would be forever grateful for this act of generosity and it only brought them closer. His face split into a wide smile as he saw the famous New York taxis he had only imagined. There were thousands of people walking, passing and tumbling over each other in the city. He had never seen anything like it. Finally, they had arrived in front of the doors of their building which was just a stone's throw away from Central Park, one of New York's key landmarks.

— Miss Stones, hello, I'll be taking you to your penthouse.

— Thank you.

— Ah yes! Indeed, Blake whispered discreetly as he took in the luxurious entrance to the building, your mother definitely didn't want you to slum it.

— I told you. I think she wanted to make me happy, she knows how much I love this place.

The concierge took them to the top of the tower. Blake took a small intake when the concierge opened the doors to one of the most beautiful apartments in New York. They were so high that they could see all of New York surrounding Central Park.

— This if you, the entire floor is yours. Enjoy your stay and the view, Miss Stone, it's one of the best in the world! I'll leave you to it, and of course this you will not be disturbed, we respect your privacy.

— Ok, thank you, Maya replied.

— Your mother really went for it didn't she! Blake repeated, he just couldn't believe what he was seeing.

—Yeh, I didn't expect it either. You never get used to this view, no matter how many times you stay here.

Maya and Blake scouted out the rest of the plush suite and then dumped themselves on the sofa facing the breathtaking view. Every light seemed emblazoned by the clarity of the darkening sky.

— This is all unbelievable. What a place, I can't believe this is my first outing. So, where do you want to start? I'm putting all my faith in you - don't disappoint me, Miss Stones.

— Let's go for a walk in Central Park and then eat in one of my favorite restaurants, it's not too far.

— Lead the way!

They left as soon as they arrived, and began their walk towards Central Park. It was around 4:30 pm, they were walking the streets of New York and Blake was in utter awe of this world. It was impossible to walk anywhere without getting bumped into. There were cars on all sides, honking at the ubiquitous traffic. They revelled in the moment and let the unique feeling of freedom wash over them, not caring about anything nor anyone but themselves.

Once they had finally arrived at the sumptuous park, Blake took Maya's hand and kissed her. This unexpected gesture was the answer Maya had been waiting for. Blake needed to show Maya that he was attracted to her, and wanted to be more than just friends. He had waited for the perfect moment to formalize their relationship and facing this magnificent setting, he knew this was it.

— Why did you do that?

— Because I want us to be together, would you like to be my girlfriend? Blake replied.

— Of course!

She grinned and then kissed Blake tenderly as confirmation.