Chapter 15

There was one last place that Maya was dreading to visit, which made it all the more important that they went. It was the great New York Library. Her parents had made huge donations to a restore the weary building and it had by consequence become their stomping ground as children. It was here that they had spent most of their childhood. Blake was amazed by the grand, high ceilings as they walked in. He felt an immediate affinity to the library, having taken refuge in the small dainty one growing up in Alvia. That library had become somewhat of a sanctuary for him after being excluded from nearly all aspects of social life. As he stood and gazed in wonder at the endless stacks of books, he couldn't help but feel at home. He had known what the library looked like, having stared at it with glossy eyes on his computer screen, but no picture could do it justice. Books had been a way for young Blake to learn, but above all to escape a monotonous existence. Maya scoured the library in search for a particular someone.

— Blake, can you wait for me here? I need to go say hello to an old friend of mine and think it would be best I do it alone.

— Of course. I'll stay here.

— Thank you.

Maya kissed Blake on the cheek to show her gratitude and walked towards an elderly man, who was saw quietly reading, with purpose.

— Hi, Mr. Harris.

— Oh, my pleasure! Is that my little Maya? He said, recognising her voice before even turning around.

— Yes, it's me.

— How you've changed! Perhaps little isn't quite the appropriate word to describe you anymore, is it dear. It's been so long since I last saw you, still as lovely as ever. Exclaimed Mr. Harris.

— Sorry I didn't come sooner...I feel as though I went down the wrong path, for a while.

Tears started to swell beneath her eyes.

— Not to worry Maya, we all just plod along in our life creating all kinds of experiences. Whether they are good or bad, they help you shape into the person you are. My sincere condolences, I learned what happened to Melissa.

— Thank you. Maya hugged Mr. Harris. I wanted to thank you for everything you taught me and all that you did for me, for us. I will never forget any of it.

Mr. Harris, the librarian, had been their accomplice in all their meandering adventures. Bringing them to corners of the library closed off to the public, the worlds they discovered with him had been every bit enchanting as they were exciting. He read them history that charted huge swathes of time. Maya explained to Mr. Harris everything she had been through, her new life in Alvia, Blake, and what they had been doing today.

— And here you are. To me, there was no better ending than giving the last rose to you Mr. Harris.

— That means a lot, thank you Maya. It's one of the most beautiful gifts I have ever received. I hope you find happiness in your new life, and I can't tell you how sorry I am about Melissa.

— Don't apologise, you had nothing to do with it. I don't think I'll be back in New York anytime Mr. Harris, so I wish you well.

— See you soon, I hope.

They hugged, and Maya gently placed the flower on the book he was reading as she left. The sight of the flower made Mr Harris call out to her:

— Maya, do you remember what I told you over and over again all those years ago?

— Yes! Never trust your first impression and always keep an open mind. I'll never forget Mr. Harris, see you soon.

Maya turned around, proud of what she had accomplished today and knew she had nothing more to do in this city. Speaking to Mr Harris had dissipated the emotional weight that had always dragged her down.