Chapter 8

Everyone peered out of the window to see who had made this disruptive noise, all eyes turned towards the back, and Blake. He, of course, was as clueless as they were and was sick of their assumption that he must know the owner of this luxurious car. Not all rich people know each other! One of the sporty boys called over his friend to show him the beautiful girl that had just come out of the car. This also caught Blake's attention. He was shocked. It was her. The mysterious girl from estate.

The car and the way she dressed all caused her to be incongruous to her setting. Blake instantly recognized the quality of her clothes because he saw some familiar brands that his mother liked to wear. Calm returned to the class after a few minutes of bewilderment. Everyone seemed to be looking forward to this new student, especially the football players who hope to take her out and her to their list of conquests.

The principal, accompanied by the girl, entered the classroom. Blake thought he would never see her again and relished the opportunity to talk to her to try and find out what had happened that night, but also because he thought she was simply beautiful.

— Hello everyone, this is one of our new students, she's a late starter so please make her feel welcome.

— Don't worry, sir, replied the professor.

— Right, I'm not going to disrupt the class any longer. Maya find a place where you feel comfortable.

She had a choice to make, the whole back row was empty and yet she chose to sit next to Blake. He saw all the other boys in his class radiate with jealousy of this choice, but it hardly bothered him.

— Okay folks, let's resume work.

The atmosphere between Blake and his new peer was rather strange. Neither one of them dared to speak nor even look at each other. There was an ordinary unease between them until Blake decided to start a discussion.

— Not too tired from Saturday night, are you? He whispered quietly to her.

— No, I had a long rest! And you?

— Same.

Silence ensued

— You don't look like you're from here? You look different to everyone else. Am I wrong? Asked Maya.

— Yet I was practically born here.

— Practically?

— Yeh, I was born in New York, but my parents moved when I was 2 years old. I don't actually have any memories of the extravagant city.

— Ah, I knew it. I could feel New York blood running through your veins. I'm also from New York.

— That makes sense! You made quite the entrance.

— Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.

— I still don't know your first name, Blake replied.

— Sorry, I thought I had told you, I mean, the way we met was quite abnormal. My name is Maya and you?

— Blake. What brings a New Yorker like yourself here? I've never seen you around before.

— It's been a few months now since I've been here, but between the moves I needed a bit of time to adapt.

— I understand.

Maya and Blake couldn't stop laughing amongst themselves as the class went on. It was the first time he had ever liked someone so much. He had spoken more to this one stranger than with anyone else from the school. Maya reciprocated Blake's feelings and felt he could help her settle in. The day flew by and neither one had left each other's side. School for the first time seemed to end too soon at 3:00pm, their morning had been so lovely that Blake wasn't quite ready to part ways with her for the day. He then did something that was very out of character.

— Maya?

— Yes?

— Would you like to go on a walk with me? The weather's never this nice, so how about we stay outside and hang out a bit longer?

The beautiful afternoon was just an excuse to have more time with Maya and get to know her better.

— With pleasure. Where are you parked?

— We'll have to use yours, I always come on foot.

— You suggest that we go for a walk, when you don't even have a car! That's a good one!

The teenager laughed.

— Come on! Give me your keys.

— You really think I would let a complete stranger drive my car?

— Me? A complete stranger? I'd say waking up next to each other after sleeping in a beautiful estate would qualify us as more than just strangers.

— True. You're right.

Maya smiled again.

The young girl seemed under the spell of his physique, but especially from their effortless banter. Blake immediately got behind the wheel, he didn't understand why he was feeling so confident. They took the main road without knowing where they were heading. Blake was driving fast and Maya had turned the volume up of the music to the maximum. They were caught in the moment, driving and even singing along to a few of the lyrics. He felt he could be completely himself around her when he barely knew her. They had both fallen in love with each other.

After travelling in the car, they decided to return to the path that led to the estate before going home. Maya and Blake wanted to see if they could still access it. He stopped in front of the gate. The moment he cut the engine, it opened.