Chapter 10

Maya was emotionally exhausted from the previous day, but thankfully she had drifted into a dreamless sleep. She woke up in a good mood. In fact, she hadn't felt this relaxed, happy and peaceful since they had moved to Alvia. You could no longer see the rage, anger and sadness written across her face. Meeting Blake had created a positive effect on her and had also eased Blake's previous frustration at staying here for a few more years. Although it had only been a day since they met, she sensed honesty within him. Above all, she saw in him a person who could help her get better everyday and had developed inexplicable feelings towards him. Were they platonic feelings? Or something more? She couldn't put her finger on it, but knew she wanted to see him again. It was so strange and new that the young teenager wondered if she was a victim of love at first sight! She wondered if love at first sight really did exist! She decided not to text him and to let things grow naturally between them. Maya wanted to observe his behaviour to determine whether what she was experiencing was reciprocated. She knew what boys were like, even though Blake seemed like he was the complete opposite to the guys she had dated before. She was afraid of getting swept up in the moment, letting things progress too quickly, being disappointed and also feared appearing crazy. She was frightened that the feelings she held for Blake would make him flee. Perhaps he only saw their relationship as situational, as a girl with whom to pass the time better with whilst he remained in this place. Maya quieted the questions that drowned her mind, and decided to see how the week would play out.

The connection she forged with Blake grew stronger everyday as they spent all their time chatting and laughing exclusively with each other. They had formed somewhat of a ritual after their bored days at school, always returning underneath the large tree and watching the sun set lazily over them. Blake and Maya felt protected in their cocoon, like sanctuary. This clandestine place was romantic and created an atmosphere of such comfort that it always evoked a gut wrenching emotion when they would have to leave. Although they were close, their attachment had remained largely platonic. Apart from the tender gesture and their first kiss, nothing else had happened to crystallize the relationship into something more.

On Friday morning and like every day, Maya went to the kitchen where her parents were waiting for her at breakfast. She knew that this joy she had been feeling was about to be disturbed by an unpleasant announcement.

— Sweetheart?

— Yes mom?

— You look good today. Did you sleep well?

—Yeh, I did thanks.

— Good, because I have a favour to ask of you.

— Go on.

Maya half-heartedly retorted whilst she continued to eat.

— Can you go pick up some important papers for me? Your father and I can't get there - could you go for us?

— Sure.

Maya nonchalantly agreed, not understanding what exactly it was she had signed up for.

— Perfect, we've arranged a jet for you this afternoon - to New York. You can stay the weekend so that you can see some of your old friends again.

— New York! What, Why?

— What do you mean why? You loved that city!

— I loved New York until the moment you cut me off from everything and everyone. What am I going to say to them, when it's been months since I last spoke to any of them because of you! What am I going to tell them about our departure? I needed my friends after what happened. You knew it and you deprived me of it. I'm not going!

— Honey, you know that we had serious problems in New York - I'm sorry that it happened the way that it did. But, these papers are essential for our future. The papers could save the society and we could maybe even go back to our old life. Isn't that what you want? This is an important year for us.