Chapter 34

"So is everything comfortable? To your liking?" Marceline would ask as she brought the fork up to her lips and take a bite of her food.

You looked at the food for a minute and brought the knife to the steak, that your mother had cooked, and began to cut yourself a piece. "Let's find out." You hummed and brought it too your lips taking a bite of the food. The steak was juicy and tender. It's taste making you practically melt. It was so good. You didn't even answer her and just took another bite.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'." She said and gave you a warm smile. Here she was finally having a dinner with you after all these years. She could scream and cry with joy, but instead of doing that she would just simply smile your way before taking a bite of her own food.

"You know, this is my purpose in life." You said taking a sip of your drink. "Just eating this steak, right dad-?" You paused and looked towards the empty seat. Your mouth running a bit dry as you processed what you had just said. "I... I mean mom." You brought your eyes over to her feeling a bit of sadness whelming up inside of you. What were you saying? You hadn't done that before, so why now of all times?

"You know, your dad taught me how to cook." She would say slowly and look down to her food. The warm smile she was wearing turning sad as she brought her fork to her lips again and taking a bite. "I used to burn anything I put my hands on. He used to not let me in the kitchen at all." She said and looked up to you with saddened eyes. A small laugh escaping her lips. "But I kept pestering him to teach me and he finally did. Well, I ended up making us so sick that we were taking turns running to the bathroom. I can still see him doubled over the toilet just sick as can be." She said and propped her chin up on the top of her head.

The story causing a smile to tug at your lips as you listened. Your dad was an amazing cook. You can't count the amount of times you and Crowley begged him to start a cooking show, but he simply wouldn't. Hell, he would be cooking in the kitchen, drinking a beer, and just talking about the news. While you and Crowley sat at the table finishing up homework.

"I miss them..." You said and cleared your throat as you could feel the tears forming at the edges of your eyes and threatening to spill over. "... so much." You finished and brought your hand up to wipe the tears away.

"I do too." She said and stood up her hand lightly tracing your back careful not to apply to much pressure. "I just wish I could've gotten to spend more time with you all as a family." She said, feeling you shaking underneath her finger tips.

So much had been going on that you had been able to distract yourself from their deaths, but you didn't think that it would all finally catch up to you like this. "We didn't even get to burry them." You muttered and turned towards Marceline. Your eyes watery and hands shaking.

A frown would form over the women's lips as she looked down at you. "We'll avenge them. I promise." She said and brought her hand up to your face wiping the tears from under your eyes. "Those stupid vampires won't even be able lift a finger against us." She said and leaned down pressing a kiss to the top of your forehead.

You sniffled a bit trying to calm down, because you didn't want to break down in front of her like this. "Try to get some rest. Tomorrow we'll resume training. I'll go easy on you due to you're still reviving body." She said and ruffled your hair. "The hot tub may help soothe your soreness. You should take a dip in it."

As you watched your mother walk away, it felt like something was churning in the pit of your stomach. You couldn't help, but to feel uneasy. Though for now you decided not to worry about it. You just needed to calm down and get changed. You really did want to get into the hot tub and just let the warm water soothe all your worries away.