Getting to know each other

"Come, sit down, have a drink and tell me, how you are doing since you arrived here. Have you made any friends yet?", Tanier inquired.

This was a topic as good as anyone, if he wanted to learn a little more about the Variel. But it had also not escaped him that the boy had become the object of not just curiosity, but also crude remarks and bad jokes by quite a few people at court. Now he was wondering, what and how much the boy noticed - or what and how much he would share.

Variel stood and walked over to sit down beside the king, taking his glass of wine and a sip as he mulled over his response. He didn't want to complain or whine about his new lot in life, but he didn't want to lie either.

"I... have been keeping mostly to myself, sire," he finally answered, idly twirling his glass by the stem as he stared at the red liquid inside. "That has always been my way. I have never had many friends... as I am better with books than with people. The girls... w-well... they are not all fond of me, but... I suppose that can't be helped."

"Of course they are not fond of you," the king said. "None of them is fond of any of the other. Every one of them competes with any other of them for winning my favour. How do you expect them to see you? But who says this can't be helped?" He liked the boy, but he was rather too modest and too shy for his taste.

"Do not avoid the others," he explained. "If they don't like you, it is not because of anything you said or did to them. It is simply because you are competition. Avoiding them could rather make it worse. They may think you consider yourself special or they may think you are a freak. Let me know, if any of them behaves inappropriately towards you. They are all ladies of the most noble houses and this sets some standards on how they should behave around others. And that includes you. So, if you are not interested into having friends, what is it you are interested in?"

Variel bit his lower lip, still debating on how much to tell about the behavior of the women. Some had been quite... rude to him in a subtle way, but he had no desire to get any of them in trouble over something as petty as words.

Thus, he was grateful for the change of subject. "Well, I have always enjoyed reading and studying," he informed the king, taking another sip of wine. "Classic literature, the sciences and mathematics, history... things of that nature. It... never pleased my father, but... well... if everyone is a great warrior, who will make the great discoveries or write the next great play?" He glanced away. "At least... that is my take on it. Most seem not to agree..." He became aware that King Tanier might be one of those that did not agree, and thet brought back much of his worry.

"It is an unusual choice for someone with you background," Tanier replied thoughtful. "I understand you have a number of brothers, so there should be no concern over how to continue the line and fullfill the duties of your family. Your father could well afford to loose a son to mathematics. Or even poetry." The king didn't seem to be thrilled about Variel's aspirations, but not annoyed either. It just didn't seem appropriate for a young noble and he was wondering, if the position Variel found himself in now was partially designed by his family as some sort of punishment. Or rather as an appropriate treatment for someone who had willingly renounced the life he had as his birth right.

A part of him was already making plans for Variel, trying to find out what he could be molded into. This included the option to keep him around just for the sex, but usually this just wasn't enough for the king. It was part of his job to find a useful position or purpose for the people who passed through his hands. For a moment he was contemplating the matter, not sure where to go from here. Then he asked: "And have you already written any great plays?"

If Variel was reading the man right, the king was not entirely pleased with his views and interests either. He hung his head upon realizing this, silver bangs falling to shadow his eyes.

However, when he heard that question, his chin came up and his eyes were wide with a little surprise. "N-no, sire. I am no playwrite. I enjoy reading and studying them as a part of our culture and history. My talents are more in Mathematics and science. I have learned much through my reading, and I have some preliminary theories of my own..." He trailed off, realizing he was rambling about something the king probably didn't care much about. He bowed his head again. "Forgive me, sire... That... wasn't what you asked me..."

The king actually smiled. "No, it isn't. But please continue. I am much interested to hear more. And to find out where your true talents may lie and what your goals are." He didn't really care, what it was that the young man was most interested in. Much more important was the question, if there was a chance that more may come out of it than a youthful fancy.

Variel gave him a hesitant look, as if to ask "Really?" before he pulled in a breath and answered the question. He was careful to stay calm and not let his excitement cause him to talk too much and risk irritating the older man.

"Well... much of our current technology runs on steam, yes? I have learned the mechanics of how this works, and I have also studied other scientists and inventors who have tried to harness lightning - in a weaker form - to create more compact sources of power. I have experimented with this myself, and... shortly before I had to leave home, I had successfully created a system that powered a light in my room using moving belts I could conceal behind a cover."

There was a noticeable change in him as he spoke about his studies and his personal ventures into science and technology, namely a light in his eyes that normally was not present.

It looked like the boy may actually be good for something. Or maybe not, but at least this was something that could be substantiated. "Interesting. I would like to see this this in use," he said. He couldn't really see yet, why powering a light with moving belts would be a big step foreward, but he was open to being convinced by Variel. Actually he would do a follow up on this and was already compiling mental notes on whom to approach. He was aware that the young women he had access to was a source of envy to some and fueled the fantasies of even more of his subjects. Little did most of them realize that the whole arrangement was not so much about pleasure than about gathering intelligence and forging alliances. And the boy offered unique options.

That was not to say that pleasure played no role in it at all. Actually he enjoyed watching the boy as he lost his normal selfconsciousness as soon as he was absorbed in his favourite subject. He kept sipping his drink while he watched. He should try to find more things that the boy enjoyed. Probably he was just too much used to not finding anyone to share his interests with. That could probably be helped.

As Variel kept talking, Tanier's mind more and more turned to the other thing that - as far as he could tell - the boy enjoyed. When he was getting tired of listening, he waited for Variel to complete the story he was telling and then concluded: "I'll look into a way how you can continue your research. Would that be to your liking?" And as he noticed that the boy had not touched his glass ever since he had started talking, he suggested: "And you may want to drink up," as he emptied his own glass, before he got up and offered his hand to Variel.

Variel knew the instant the king cut him off that he'd talked too much and forcibly reined himself in. He nodded with a careful measure of eagerness when the king offered to allow him to continue his research, and then took a few drinks of his wine at the suggestion.