Year 2, Chapter 5

(Your POV)

My eyes are tightly shut due to the familiar painful sensation pushing and pulling at my body. I don't think I will ever grow used to apparation. After a couple more seconds, a sudden wave of cool air washes over me, and I open my eyes to find myself in front of the one and only King's Cross Station. Taking a moment to compose myself, I rake my fingers through my hair, adjusting the messy strands. After everyone is settled, Mother, Draco, Father, and I walk up the worn stone steps and into the platform.

We stop in front of the all too familiar grimy brick wall. With a nod, my family run into the barrier one by one, stopping with panting breath in another station covered in the familiar thick steam pouring from the scarlet Hogwarts Express.

Platform 9 3/4, oh, how I've missed you.

After an awkward hug or two, Draco and I depart from our parents and into the ever-growing hoard of people crowding about the pathways.

"Welp," Draco clears his throat somewhat awkwardly once we make it to the entrance of the train, "See you at school?"

"See you at school," I nod with a small smile.

Before we depart, however, my brother and I enact our handshake which we had come up with over the summer. (A/N: I imagine the handshake between Peter Parker and his best friend Harry, but you can imagine your own!) It's a simple one. It doesn't have much rhythm to it, I'll admit, but we like it that way.

We chuckle at the stupid routine before finally separating to opposite ends of the train. I make my way down the passageway, occasionally bumping shoulders with another student or hitting my luggage against something. After a few minutes of this agitating cycle, I finally make it to the last compartment door. Upon opening it, I discover only Hermione inside, no Harry or Ron. Although I'm happy to see my friend again, I can't help the small pang of disappointment that jolts sharply through my chest.

Hermione is immersed in a thick, dull-looking book, seemingly numb to the world around her. At the sound of the door opening, she looks up from her book and smiles widely when she sets her eyes upon me. "Y/N! Hello!"

"Hey, Hermione!" I reply just as enthusiastically, setting my luggage on the cushion as I sit down, "Err, you wouldn't happen to know where Harry and Ron are would you?"

"Umm no actually," she replies, "I just assumed they sat with someone else. I haven't checked though." I hum in response as I'm not sure what to say.

I can't help but feel something's wrong with the boys. What if they're not on the train? What if they found new friends? An unpleasant spout of envy sparks up deep within my chest, but I push it away quickly. Today is the first day of term, it's supposed to be a happy day. I'll worry when I'm given a definite reason to worry.

I rest my head upon my hand as I look out the window and at the green land passing quickly by. "How was your holiday?"

"Oh, it was alright," Hermione is looking back at her book, "And yours?"

I hesitate for a few moments, unsure of whether I should be truthful about the events that had taken place a mere few weeks prior. Hermione seems to pick up on this, "Are you alright, Y/N?"

"Yes, just lost my train of thought" I reassure her. I don't want to worry anyone. Besides, Father would have my head if he found out anyone knew. 

"Well, I do hope you know that if there's anything wrong you can always come to me," Hermione smiles softly. 

I return her smile, "Thank you, Mione."

The next couple hours pass swiftly by until I'm sitting on the rigid wooden bench of Gryffindor's table beside Hermione watching the nervous first years be sorted into their houses. I do my best to pay attention to the ceremony, though, I can't help but glance at the doorway every couple of minutes. Soon, the last student has been sorted, and the great feast is magicked onto the tables. Dinnertime comes and goes until I'm lying in my dorm room bed, gazing thoughtfully at the ceiling above.