*21*

Hi, hello!😊

This surprise update was not planned, btw😂💔.

*in TV presenters voice*

Welcome back to another exciting chapter of The Rare Ones.

Buckle up and hold on to your seats ladies and gentlemen, 'cause this chapter's gonna be a bit of a shock.

Are ya ready?

Let's go!🤸🏽‍♀️🤸🏽‍♀️🤸🏽‍♀️

~~~~~~~
"I know you see me acting sleazy,
I'm working on it,take it easy,
I'll figure it all out
before I break"
~~~~~~~
-Daniel Caesar
(Superposition)

Deja

"....and then I told Kunle that I wanted to be the one to handle the main parts of the project, and he agreed! Just like that!"

I was in the kitchen with Doyin, washing plates as she packed food in separate coolers.

It's Saturday and all my set mates, excluding Chetachi and Beryl, are probably at Ricardo Luiz's pool party.

"It seems you like this Kunle guy," I said with a smile.

Doyin turned to me, hands akimbo on her waist.

She had Derin strapped to her back with a wrapper, and the small girl contented herself with playing with her mum's braids.

"I don't like him, if that's what your trying to say. I just think he's nice and not a total idiot."

"Mmmhmm," I hummed, running a plate under the cold water gushing from the tap.

There was silence for a bit, punctuated briefly by the sound of Derin's yawns.

When I was done with the plates, I rinsed and wiped my hands, only to find Doyin staring at me as I turned round.

"What?" I asked nervously.

She gave me a nostalgic smile.

"Nothing, o. I just remembered Deola for a bit."

I stared at the ground, shuffling my feet on the concrete floor.

Desola and I are lucky because we still have Doyin as our older sister, but Doyin was now the eldest girl in the house, since Sister Deola passed.

That was a job in itself, not to mention that she's still in college and a single mum.

She twisted the cover of the last cooler in place and I simply watched her.

"You know, you're this family's only hope now," Doyin said.

"Me?"

"Yup."

I sighed and leaned against the small sink in this tiny space we used as a kitchen.

My parents had 8 kids, but now we were down to 5, with only 4 of us currently in the house.

The first born, Adeola, died 5 years ago from an abortion, which is part of the reason Doyin kept her own baby.