*32*

Hey y'all, what's up?

It's me again🤭💕

Special shout-out to phantomreadds 💗💗💗

Let's jump right into the chapter, shall we?

~~~~~~~
"I wasn't looking for you,
but you found me,"
~~~~~~~
- FINNEAS
( Die Alone)

MAJID

"Check again, Majid. Maybe she called and your phone went on silent."

I sighed and glanced at my dad, who was pacing back and forth, enough to wear a hole into the floor.

"No, Baba, she hasn't called and my phone is very much not on silent."

He turned to Khalid. "Anything on your end?"

"No, Baba," he shook his head.

It was past 11 p.m. and my mother wasn't back from the seminar she left for in the afternoon.

Baba was running mad.

For the five-hundreth time, he picked up his phone and dialled her driver, Umed.

And again, for the five-hundreth time, he didn't pick up and my dad let out a torrent of curses in Hausa.

"She'll be home soon, Baba, don't worry," I said, the words almost like a mantra at this point.

I honestly don't see any reason to panic this much; this is Lagos. Island or not, the traffic is deadly, and Mum was probably just caught up in it, perfectly safe and sound.

But, knowing my Baba, telling him all this would be a waste of time and energy. As long as the precious jewel that is his wife was involved, he cared very little for anything else.

Khalid looked at me and we both shared a sigh.

He raised his hands subtely and I knew instinctively that he was going to sign to me.

When we were much younger, back when we used to stay in Kano, Khalid went voluntarily mute for almost three years.

It wasn't that he couldn't talk, he just preferred not to. He only really started talking from age six.

During the period of his silence, our mum made us all learn sign language so we could still communicate, and Khalid and I still use it regularly to pass coded messages, or if we simply don't want to speak.

"What do you think happened?" He signed.

I shrugged and signed back. "Most probably, traffic."

Khalid nodded, agreeing with me.

The blaring of the horn of my mother's Cadillac caught our attention.

Baba basically ran to the door, and we did too.

Seconds later, Mum walked in, a worried expression on her usually serene face as one of the maids took her handbag.