chapter eleven

Peter stood in the middle of the room, "You do."
"Are we gonna argument the whole night? I don't."
"Yes, you do.", Peter provoked.
"I don't."
"Come on, you like me."
"I don't like you."

"Fine...", he said and started playing at the pong machine. "You don't.", he whispered.
Then he turned around and looked at me: "y/n, do you like me?"

I only stood in front of the couch and said nothing. I couldn't, even if I had wanted to. "You didn't say no this time." Peter smirked slightly. He turned back to the machine and started playing his game again.

"Hey, can I have a Twinkie?", I asked in the total silence. That wasn't the topic of the conversation. Not even close to it. In the next moment there was a Twinkie in my hand. "Thank you.", I said. Then I dropped on Peters bed and stared at the ceiling.

I know that i didn't answered his question. It's easier to say no if it's a statement. But he asked. I didn't know why I simply hadn't said no. The life at Peters home basically just consisted of hanging out with him in his basement and stealing things. Nothing special. But I loved it that way. And maybe I said nothing to not make it end. "So...do you want to stare at the ceiling the whole night or...?", Peter said and laid down next to me. He also started staring at the ceiling.
"Huh?"

"You stared at the ceiling for more than 30 minutes. That's sick." "Kinda. But you've got a nice ceiling." "Yeah, I know." Nobody said anything. It was quiet. "Peter?" "Mh?" "If you don't want me to stay, I could also go home now. At some point I'll have to in the same way."

Peter didn't react for quite a time then he smiled: "You could stay forever. I don't mind."

"That's cheesy." I sat up, "Very cheesy. But...okay."
"Okay it's cheesy or okay you'll stay forever?"
"Peter, my home is literally directly opposite to your house. At most 15 feet away. And you got super speed."
"I know. But I like to be in the same room as you...So...guessing you will have to stay."

"That's even more cheesier, you know?"

_____________

I walked along the long school corridor, while staring at my black converse shoes, on my feet, to not have eye contact with anybody. "Y/n, wait!", Peter yelled after me and ran in normal speed to the place next to me. "Hey.", he said. Peter wore a Rolling Stones shirt and black jeans with his silver sneakers. He had the shoulder strap of his backpack hanging over one shoulder and a few strands of his silver hair were hanging in his face. I wore the shirt that he had worn on the day before.

"Hey." , I said and still didn't looked up. "Why are you staring at your shoes?", Peter asked and tried to lean down to see my face, "Is there something special about them I don't know?" "Nope.", I briefly answered, "just shoes." "Then, why are you looking at them if you can look up into my eyes and let me see your face?" We stopped walking and I looked up, "Peter, you know my face." Then I quickly fell in silence and totally blushed as I saw him smiling at me.

"What's wrong?", Peter said and grinned as he noticed I was blushing. I stared at him for a while, then I cleared myself and said: "Nothing. You're just very annoying."

"Shit!", Peter shouted, "We're late for class. Come on!" He took my hand and pulled me in the class room. "Sorry for being to late. The bus didn't came.", Peter said to the teacher and went to his table, "will never happen again."

The teacher twisted his eyes: "You said that the last five times too." Then he turned around and looked at me: "And you, Ms. y/l/n?" I quickly went to my table in the last row and sat down, "I should have been in the same bus."

"Fine, so, last week we had talk about the...", the teacher talked. I wasn't listening to him. His words fade directly and never reached my mind. And I also didn't get the fact why he tried to teach us, on our last week. I looked over to Peter, he was sitting like 15 meters away from me. Science was the only class we had together, so we wouldn't see us much, apart from the lunch time and after the last class for detention.

After three classes and many many unnecessary informations from all teachers I had, it was finally lunch time. I walked with a tray along the counter, which was full of disgusting food, and tried to not get something too disgusting on my plate. "You can throw the food directly in the trash, it already smells like that.", Peter said. He came from behind and bent over my shoulder, "You didn't plan to eat that, did you?" "Actually, I didn't. But your words just gave me such an appetite.", I said ironically.

"Yeah, I wouldn't do that." The woman behind the counter put a spoonful of something muddy brown on my plate, labeled as meat. I walked to a table on the side of the cafeteria, where I usually sat alone and no one ever annoyed me. But this time Peter followed me. "That doesn't smell like meat and doesn't look like meat. It won't taste like meat. I don't think it's meat.", Peter said and sat down opposite to me, "sure, you want to eat that?"

"Mh Mh.", I said, smiled ironically and put a piece of that brown stuff in my mouth. It felt like I'd chewing on rubber and it was pretty hard not to wrap my face of disgust. "Tasty?", Peter said and smiled provoking.

I spit out the 'meat' immediately and started choking. "That's fucking disgusting.", I said and coughed. Peter laughed at me: "I know."
Idiot
"So, what do you eat everyday then?"
"Come on." Peter stood up, smirked and took my wrist.

"Where're we going?"
"Home"
"Couldn't you just take us there at super speed?"

"Nope.", Peter said and started running faster, "too many witnesses." "Peter, we're mutants, not some criminals or murders."
"Well,", Peter started, "they put everything together, naive." I boxed Peter in the side, "don't call me naive." "But you are. Hey, Naive is a way better mutant name for you."

"Oh, ha ha.", i sarcastically laughed, "You're such a dork." "Yeah, I know. You have told me that often enough."

About 30 minutes later we were in front of Peters front door. "And what're we doing here?"
"Eat. My mom's not home so we can use the kitchen.", Peter said and seemed honestly.
"You want to cook something?", I asked, "you?"
"Yeah, why not?" Over thousand reasons that would speak against it flow through my mind. I opened my mouth to say some but Peter directly interrupted me: "After all, I'm gonna use ready meals that I stole."

That looked more similar to him.We entered the house, then the kitchen. I sat down at the table in the kitchen while watching Peter laboriously try to warm up a pack of macaroni and cheese. "Need help?", I asked amused about him. Peter and the most things around me turned into a rush and in the next moment he placed a plate full of actually quite delicious looking macaroni in front of me. "Nope." 

"That looks....way better than that 'meat'. " , I said, "thank you." "Sure." Peter smirked and we began to eat. Usually that ready meals are kinda disgusting but that one tasted actually pretty good.
After I finished eating I looked up from my plate. Peter made the dishes and stood next to the fridge. "Do you want a soda?", he asked.
"No. I'm fine."

We both said nothing for a while and only stood in the middle of the kitchen.
"Sure you don't want a soda?"
"Yeah. I'm sure."
Peter drummed briefly on a chair back.
"Please let me get you a soda. I gotta do something other than standing like a dork."

"You're always a dork. No matter what you doing.", I said. Peter nodded briefly than he walked out of the room in his basement. "What are you doing?", I yelled after him. "Being a dork." I smirked slightly and ran after him.

"What's wrong?", I asked after I entered the basement. Peter was laying on his bed and stared at the ceiling again. Is that our favourite occupation now?
"I'm bored, I'm tired of going to school.", he complained, "And I couldn't stand standing there like that."

"And only laying around is better?"
"No." 
Peter moved aside to make room. I laid down next to him. "Then, why are we laying on your bed?"
"I don't know."  "That's logical.", I said ironically.
"It's better than school.", Peter said and shrugged. "Yes, it is."

"Wait, when do we have class again?", I asked.
"We could skip school today. I've done that before. It's cool." Peter looked down to me.
"And what should we do in this time?"
"I don't know.", Peter said, "only stay like that?"

We were laying closely to each other and Peter took my hand. "Sounds good.", I said. I closed my hand tightly around his. Peter smiled at me. After a while we both fell asleep.