chapter nineteen

"You did what?!"
"I told you three times... stop asking.", I yelled.
Peter and I were in the kitchen. We sat on a small table. He gave me some water but I didn't drink anything. I just started to calm down.

"What do you expect me to do? I can't handle this situation as well. Otherwise why did you even come to me? We haven't met each other since 10 years or something...", he said. His face wasn't showing any emotion. But I, with my great unstable mental help and control, was about to cry again.

"You're the only one I can trust, okay?! I don't know anyone but you. Especially no one who would ever understand me like you... used to. As well, I missed you...", I said stuttering.

On Peters face grew a slight smile. "Come on....", he said. Then he took my hand and pulled me into his basement. "What are we doing here now?", I asked quietly. Peter let go of my hand, "Pack.", he said and started grabbing some things around.
"Pack? For what? Are you going to hand me out to the cops?"

"What? No...", he said, "I just was about to leave when you got here."
"What?"
"Yesterday I saw the news and they said something of the 10th anniversary of that day in Washington, you know...?"
"Yea, I've seen it too."
"I saw this speech again and then I wanted to look for him and tell him."

"And where?"
Peter handed me a card. "Charles Xavier's school for gifted youngsters...", I read loudly.
"You kept this?"
"Yep..."

Peter grabbed a small yellow box or something and attached it to his belt.
I got a little closer and took a precisely look at it.
"Hey, is that my Walkman?", I asked.
Peter smirked slightly, "It depends. Is that my shirt...?", he said and pointed on the shirt I was wearing right now.

"That... doesn't matter right now."
"Then what does?"
"What about me?", I said quietly.

"Huh?"
"You wouldn't take a murderer with you, right? I mean you have way more important things to handle with. Like your father. Or you probably have a girlfriend or something to care about... I don't care."
"No I actually don't..."

I glanced up at him and smiled briefly then I immediately looked back at my feet.
Peter smirked, "You do care....", he said, "And no... I've nothing to care about... I'm just gonna solve the problem with my father with you on my side."

"And what are you gonna do then? Get rid of me on the way? Stuck me into that school?"
"Nope....", he said.

He waited a bit until he finished his sentence, "I thought I may... just gonna take you back here and get you somewhere to live or something..."

Now I was smiling honestly.
"You don't have any things taken with you, right?", he asked. "Nope.... All burned up in that fire, I guess."

"Okay well then...", he said, "I think we're leaving this evening, gonna change the train one time and then strait to Washington."
"What?", I asked.
"What what?"

"Why don't you just flash us over right now?"
"Well....", he said and turned on the tv, "it's everywhere on the news... you know, the thing with the house. You're the only survivor."

I looked at my feet. It was so wrong. I didn't wanted to do that... but my mom- I'm not going to start with that again.

"Wouldn't it be kinda suspicious if the only survivor, just surfaced anywhere, without any car or something, just by herself? I mean, you're the main suspect.", he finished and smiled slightly.

Then I just started crying again. I hate myself for that. His smile immediately vanished. Then he pulled me closer and hugged me. "Hey... hey shhh. Listen, everything will be okay, understand? It's okay. It was an accident."

I wiped my tears away and smiled at him briefly, "When are we leaving?"
"Like 5 pm. The train arrives like 5:10.", he said, "So it's 2:30 pm... what do you want to do?"

It was weird to talk to Peter. But it felt exactly like 10 years back. We still talked the same boring shit.

"I don't know... hang on a second... you have Ms. Pac-Man?!", I yelled. In that moment I realized that Peters whole basement basically changed. On his wall was a big graffiti and he had new tvs. The pong machine was a Ms. Pac-Man now. Kinda sad that whole thing. But it was still cool here.

"Yea. Why? You wanna play?", he asked.
"Uh- uhm no...", I said. I dropped myself on the couch. So did Peter, right next to me, "What's wrong?"

"Uh it's okay... I just... you know kind of your whole basement changed. Everything looks so unfamiliar. Okay sorry that's stupid. I should just stop talking. I mean that was ten years ago. Its okay, it changed, just like you and...", I said. I finally stopped talking after Peter pressed his hand on my mouth.

"Trust me, I didn't really change.", he said.
He put his hand down and kissed my cheek. I blushed immediately.

"S-so uh you don't have a girlfriend?", I stuttered.
Peter smirked and got a little bit closer.
I smiled slightly and he smiled immediately back.
In that moment the anchor, in the tv, said something about the house.

"The 'accident' was yesterday at like 9 pm. A whole house burned down and left no survivor but one. Witnesses said the only survivor, a girl around twenty, left the house right after the fire started. She wasn't hurt or anything. The police thinks that she might lighted up the fire and left the building before anything could happen to her..."

I turned the tv louder. "Shit...", I said.
"Don't worry. They don't know exactly how you look like." I took a deep breath. "You're right. Let's leave soon. Maybe someone saw me getting into the bus..."

~1000