c h a p t e r / f o u r t e e n

HELLO CHAPTER FOURTEEN!

thank u guys for being patient with me i am no longer proud of last chapter but i'm SO EXCITED FOR Y'ALL TO READ THIS ONE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW

thank you again for literally 10k reads ????? i love all of you so very much xoxo NOW GO READ

ENJOYOYOY -katie <3

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

b r i e l l e

The next few weeks go by in a blur of pure bliss and fun with JJ, Kie, Pope, John B, and Sarah. I'm a much better skateboarder now, but I'm still too chicken to learn to surf. Everyone keeps begging me to learn, but I would much rather hang by the dock with Sarah and chat. We do that most days and the six of us end most nights by the fire playing beach volleyball, driving around in the Twinkie listening to music, or just walking quietly together enjoying the peacefulness. 

 JJ's been spending most nights at my house and the two of us have become like, really close. He's my best friend, and dad has also grown to absolutely adore him.  I've been keeping Sarah and Kie updated on whatever the hell is going on between me and the boy, and they have me convinced that we're getting married. I've also been going on regular beach walks with dad after I shaped up from blowing him off all those times. Life is just plain fucking good. 

At this point it's the beginning of August. This morning I wake up when the sun wakes up, and get out of my bed to find dad already making breakfast in the kitchen. He's normally an early riser anyway, and he was able to take today off of work for a very special occasion here in the Outer Banks. 

Midsummers.

Dad and I say good morning to each other, and I sit down at the kitchen counter wearing a pair of black sweatshorts and my favorite one of JJ's gray tank tops that he gave to me one night on the beach. I'll always remember it as the one he was wearing on the day we met, but I'll never tell him that. 

"You're up early," Dad tells me as he sits down across from me with a coffee, sliding a plate of breakfast to me and keeping one for himself. 

"Mhm," I confirm as I bite into a chocolate chip pancake. "Just excited for tonight, that's all." Normally I wouldn't be excited to go to an event like this, but this is my first year on the island and dad has a connection to some super rich kook with his work, so that's why we were invited. I've already made plans to get ready with Kie and Sarah before the party, but only five out of the six of us will be there. 

Pope will be there to work with his dad, and John B was invited by Sarah as her secret plus one. None of the people at this thing will be too pleased if they find out that the kook princess is messing around with a 'dirty pogue', so no one else knows that he's gonna be there. Kie and I are going too, but JJ isn't. I'm not high up enough on the hierarchy of guests to be able to invite a plus one, so he basically just isn't allowed to come, which fucking sucks. 

Dad and I finish our breakfast quietly in the kitchen, enjoying our time together this early in the morning. When we're done I head back to my room to change into a more presentable outfit for morning beach-goers. We planned to go on our walk this morning instead of later tonight cause of the party, and also cause we've never done one at this hour before.  

Walking into my bedroom, I see my Midsummers dress hanging on my closet door and can't manage to keep my eyes off it. It's one of Kie's old ones that she wore to the party a few years ago, but it's new to me and I'm so excited to wear it. It's an ankle length, pale gold, satin dress and I am absolutely in love with it. To go along with it, I'll be wearing a pair of shiny, white, heeled sandals and a flower crown that Sarah and Kie said is mandatory for me to wear. It has a bit of gold and white in it as well, but the brightest color is a gorgeous shade of lavender that I chose simply because it matches the pendant on my necklace. Have I mentioned how much I love this dress?