01 | Mutual Help

•••

•••

Chandni never imagined herself sitting in front of a mirror, draped with some beautiful saree, caked with make up, her head bearing the weight of numerous accessories used to hold her hair in some complex hairstyle and adorned with gold jewelry which she never knew her family owned.

Which was why she was sitting in front of a mirror, draped with a beautiful saree, with minimal makeup, her head bearing the flowers held by just a couple of pins and jewels which she knew they owned, and liked to wear due to their elegance-in-simplicity look.

Her sister Anjana comes along with their mother, guiding Chandni out to see the guests, Chandni's mother lowly hissing at her to show some kind of shyness as she walks out with her head held straight.

Neither high, nor low.

Chandni greets the guests by folding her hands with a smile, then stands back with Anjana.

They lean on the wall behind them with Chandni watching anything but the scene in front of her as her family and the other exchange pleasantries, mild jokes, and converse with each other.

"Do you want me to tell him to do a minimum of forty push-ups to marry you? Or the crunches? Oh! How about a middle-split or needle?" Anjana whispers in Chandni's ear and she couldn't help but chuckle with a raspberry.

Aakash didn't want a marriage that was completely arranged, fixed way too early when neither of them have a clue about each other. Except for if he actually hung out with the girl and liked her or even loved her.

He had hopes.

He wished for willingness from both parties before the parents intervene with the marriage talk.

Specifically, considering he was utterly and absolutely single, only with childhood and celebrity crushes, he highly doubted his parents would withdraw away from this potential marriage, who was the second girl he had met in the last month for an alliance-search by his parents.

But, when he heard that chuckle, he couldn't resist taking a look at the girl.

It sounded totally horrendous to others' standards, but he liked it the way it was, especially coming from that girl, Chandni, they had said, who was now trying to act out her chuckle after her mother shoots her a look.

When Chandni noticed her mother slowly turning her head with a what-the-heck-are-you-doing look she starts coughing to hide what she just did and pats herself on the head, moving behind Anjana who starts exaggerating with, "Are you okay? Something stuck in your throat?"

"Thanks." Chandni whispers before ending her fake cough tantrum, "But maybe we should make him run or something, don't you think, ablacım-"

"He's looking at you." Anjana suddenly says.

Chandni snaps her head up but didn't see the expected glare from her father, but before she could ask whom Anjana was talking about, she got the answer as she averted her eyes towards her father's line of vision.