22 | Mutual Newness

•••

•••

Chandni missed Canada. But it wasn't as much as she missed being back in her dance class and training her juniors until her teacher came.

It's been two days since touchdown in India. Two days since Chandni had seen Kevin's hidden envelope in her magazine, two days since she'd smiled emotionally at it and two days since she'd taken her phone right after landing and texted Kevin a 'thank you'.

"Ramya...aramandi..." Chandni warned Ramya—one of Neha's batchmates—with a playfully angry tone and the girl grinned sheepishly, going lower in her aramandi despite the obvious burn of her legs.

How Chandni knew about the pain? Well, she herself had been in that position when she was young. Even recently, when she had rejoined her dance class after taking a break during her college finals, she'd felt that all too familiar burn.

When Shruti and her batch of juniors were done, she made them sit and watch the others, and through the doors came Aisha and Rishi along with someone she never thought she'd see here.

"Hey, this guy is the new student I told you about yesterday. He came to our house and joined after getting blessings from Amma. He's new but he at least knows thattadavu dude!" Rishi grinned while nudging Aakash forward

"How very..." Chandni gritted through a smile, "Dedicatory... of him."

"Thank you, ma'am." Aakash hid a smirk behind his not-so-humble smile.

"Oh you can just call her Chandni. Or Akka. But the latter is only for the kids and juniors." Aisha waved her hand at Aakash and they took their places.

I never gave the permission damnit! "Of course. What they said." Chandni spoke through clenched teeth.

"Ok Chandni." Aakash threw a wink at her and Chandni stilled. 

She quickly looked around as if to show someone and tell them 'did you see what he just did and still think he's innocent?', but no one was looking at all.

Chandni's heart started increasing its pace when she turned back to Aakash and she felt everything in slow motion when he removed his shirt, his vest riding up and hinting at what was hidden.

"Chandni." She heard a voice but it sounded distant as if she was underwater and drowning in all that was Aakash.

"Chandni." Hmm, he should wear shorts more. He looked nice.

"Chandni." Well, technically he looked nice in anything. She wondered how she probably wouldn't be able to describe him in words when he was in nothing.

She let out a slow, quiet breath when her thoughts strayed far, far away.

Aakash paused when she didn't respond, moving slightly closer and practically sang in her ears, "Oi, Chuckles."