Chapter 1 The Begining

Patchkit looked over to his mother. "Mama?" he asked as he sat down, careful not to wake his littermates.

"Yes, dear?" She looked up from grooming a sleeping Larchkit, who looked funny with his fur finally flat.

"Why don't we have a father in Thunderclan?" He blurted accidentally. Sure, the whole clan though his father was Birchface; a cat who had died in a battle over Sunningrocks, yet Patchkit knew better.

"Well," Mapleshade mumbled,her eyes fixed to the ground, "I thought I could raise you all here, and I hope I made the right choice."

*****
The next day, Patchkit, Petalkit, and Larchkit all went out of the nursery to play. Rabbitfur, the clan elder was waiting out there. "Your father was a very skilled jumper" The old cat meowed to the kits. "Why don't you all try to jump like him?"

Larchkit's ears perked up, and Petalkit's tawny tail waved excitedly. Rabbitfur set a stick down tail lengths away from them, and told them to jump to it. "Patchkit, why don't you try first?" He suggested.

Patchkit looked over at his littermates. He doubted that he could do it, but he leaped. "Nice try" Petalkit smiled, looking at where he landed. Patchkit had hardly jumped a tail length, he was that bad. The small torticeshell kit padded over to his tan and brown striped brother.

Once all of the kits had tried and failed, Rabbitfur went over to their mother, who sat in the opening to the nursery. "How are your kits so bad at that?" The old cat hissed to Mapleshade, who had her tail wrapped protectively over Patchkit, who whimpered.

What if the clan finds out? He wondered, looking at Larchkit to see what his brother thought. The bigger tom just watched though.

" They get their clumsiness from me" Mapleshade meowed, a slight growl in her voice.

"But every cat knows you are the most light-footed cat in the forest" Rabbitfur smirked. "That's enough" Mapleshade growled. "Kits, back in the nursery"