Chapter 2 Suspicion

Patchkit followed Mapleshade and his littermates out of camp. "Mama where are we going?" He asked. "You'll see soon enough" She said, nosing Petalkit to walk faster. Patchkit's ears pricked at the sound of something rushing, it sounded kind of like the rain the battered the camp a few sunrises ago.

"This is the river"Mapleshade said to them. As she explained the river to Petalkit, Patchkit and Larchkit went near it. "Bet ya can't swim like Riverclan" Patchkit's brother taunted. So of course Patchkit jumped into the river. Not feeling anything but water beneath his feet, Patchkit confidently started paddling his paws to swim. His thick pelt kept him warm, unlike normal Thunderclan cats. He saw Mapleshade smile proudly.

When Petalkit and Larchkit had worked up the courage to swim, Patchkit had accidentally drifted over to a branch on Riverclan's side. His mother's eyes flashed with worry. Turning around, he saw a Riverclan border patrol. One tomcat, with tan fur and darker spirals that faded into his fur, hung back from the cats that questioned why the kits were in the river. His green eyes looked just like Petalkit and Larchkit's. After the patrol had finished questioning Mapleshade, the brown tom swam out to Patchkit. "Well someone's a brave little warrior" He said, lifting Patchkit in his jaws.

The tom set him on the bank. "Thank you for saving Patchkit, Appledusk" Mapleshade said. "Petalkit, Larchkit, let's go" Appledusk said something to Mapleshade and then went back across the river.

Heading back to camp, the medicine cat stopped in front of them. "Ravenwing" Mapleshade growled. The dark tomcat hissed something to her that Patchkit couldn't hear. After that, their mother rushed them back to camp, not stopping.