Chapter Three

Vada walked into her homeroom five minutes late. She looked towards the class; all eyes were on her. A few girls caught her attention. They were whispering to each other while taking small peeks at her. She automatically assumed they were talking about her. Vada's eyes slightly flickered to the right, her eyes landing on the boy she saw across the street from her house yesterday. He stared at her with a small smirk on his face.

"It's nice of you to finally join us."

Vada quickly turned her head to look at the teacher and said, "I-I'm sorry, I got lost and there was this-"

The teacher shook his head lightly before he interrupted her. "It's fine, it is the first day so I'll let you off the hook but if it happens again, I will have to give you a detention."

"Thank you."

The teacher gestured his hand towards the class as he spoke. "Please, take a seat." Vada turned towards the class and rushed to the first empty seat she saw and sat down.

"Hey."

Vada looked in front of her before turning her head to her right and she immediately met eyes with the boy once again. "Hi?" She said in a questioning tone.

"You moved in across the street from me, right?"

"Yeah, that's me." She said awkwardly and the boy scoffed and shook his head lightly, looking back in front of him. Vada smiled softly. "What?" She asked.

He looked back at her and shook his head once again. "Nothing, it's just.." Vada raised her eyebrows as she tilted her head slightly downwards, staring into his green eyes. He inhaled softly. "I'm Michael." He finished.

Vada smiled softly, tilting her head back up. "Vada."

"Vada?" She nodded. "That's.. Unique."

Vada rolled her eyes and sighed softly. "Yeah, I know, my mom wanted it to be different and-"

"I like it."

Vada looked over at him, curiosity in her eyes. "Really?"

He nodded and said, "Yeah, It's different."

Vada smiled softly as heat rose to her cheeks, causing them to become a light shade of pink. "Thanks." Michael opened his mouth to speak but quickly got interrupted by the teacher.

"Okay guys, it's 8:51. Get to your first class. Your schedules are printed on the wall over there. Take a picture or don't, I don't care." He said, mumbling the last part. Vada then stood up from her seat as people walked out of the classroom and some took pictures of their schedules. Vada walked out into the hallway and looked down at her schedule on her phone.

"What class do you have next?"

Vada looked up from her phone to meet eyes with Michael. "Oh, uhm," She looked back down at her phone momentarily, then looked back up at him, a small smile appearing on his face. "English 210."

Michael's smile grew slightly as he spoke. "Cool, me too."

Vada tilted her head slightly as she stared into his green eyes. "No, you don't."