Chapter Seven

It's been a week and things have changed but nothing drastic. Vada's mother is still concealing things like her past from her daughter. Meanwhile, Casey has been opening up a lot more lately but there are still things he keeps from Vada for her own safety and she knew that.

"Okay class, today we are starting a new project."
Groans were heard around the room. The teacher rolled her eyes and laughed and said, "Come on, it's not that hard. I let you guys pick your partners last time, so I'll be picking your partners for this project, just for everyone to get to know each other a bit better." She walked over to her desk and grabbed her clipboard before walking back in front of the class. She stared down at the clipboard for a moment before she spoke. "Okay, Hailey, you're with Darren, Jeremy and Damion, Kendra and Cassidy.." She continued to call out names until, finally, she called Vada's. "Vada and Alice." Vada looked back at Alice and looked back at the teacher and rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Okay, that's it. If I didn't call your name, come see me and if I did, please get with your partners and I'll hand out the rubrics in just a moment."

Everyone stood up from their seats and scatted around the classroom, looking for their partners but Vada walked over to the teacher's desk and looked down at her. "Mrs. Ishida?"

She looked up at Vada and smiled softly. "Yes, Vada?"

"Do you think I could maybe switch partners? Me and Alice don't really get along."

"I'm sorry, Vada, I can't."

Vada inhaled softly and nodded. "It's okay. Thank you." She said then turned her back to her and walked over to Alice's table. She sat beside her and looked over at her.

"Can't get rid of me that easily." Alice said, a sly smile on her face.

Vada rolled her eyes in annoyance and sat back in her seat. "Whatever. Let's just get this over with."

Vada walked out of the classroom, adjusting the strap of her bag over her shoulder, when Alice called out to her.

"Hey, Vada." Vada stopped in her tracks and rolled her eyes then turned towards her. "It's clear you don't want to work with me and honestly, I don't want to work with you either, so let's make this easier for the both of us." Vada furrowed her eyebrows lightly as she continued, "I'll do everything and I'll just give you credit for-"

Vada shook her head and said, "No, no, no, if I'm stuck with you then your stuck with me."

Alice huffed silently but nodded. "Fine, your house, eight o'clock, kay?" Before Vada could respond, Alice disappeared into the crowd of people and Vada sighed softly and walked the opposite direction, to her locker.

"Hi!"

Vada looked over to where the voice came from and met eyes with an Asian girl who seemed to be Vada's age, she had short bleached blonde hair and lively brown eyes and a small amount of freckles, not as much as Vada. She said, "Hi?"

The girl smiled sweetly and held out her hand to Vada. "I'm Sayori Chen. My friends call me Yori."

Vada furrowed her eyebrows slightly as she took her hand and shook it. "It's nice to meet you." She said then took her hand from her grasp. There was a moment of silence before Vada spoke again. "So, did you need something?"

Sayori shook her head lightly. "No, I'm new and I promised my mom I would at least talk to one person and you were the first person I saw that didn't seem so intimidating."