Chapter Fourteen

"Thank you for driving me home." Vada said in a soft voice, looking up at Marcus.

He smiled back at her. "Of course, I hope you had a good time."

She nodded. "I had a great time." She answered, her smile growing.

"Good." He set his hand on her cheek and leaned forward and their lips met.
Vada set her hands on each side of his neck and they pulled back and looked into each other's eyes.

Vada smiled sweetly and leaned back. "Goodnight, Marcus."

He smiled softly at her. "Night." He said in a soft whisper. She took a moment before turning her back to him and opened the passenger side door and got out of the car.

It's been two weeks since their first date and they really like each other but Vada hasn't been doing so well lately, mentally, but she learned how to pretend from her mother's diary. She learned so much from it, she learned more about her mother and learned how to hide things like cuts, bruises, and mental state.
She learned that her mother wasn't just bipolar but also had psychosis and anorexia.
She's been in a mental institution. It scared her reading her entries while she was there, it was like she could tell how much her mother changed as time went on being in the institution. The same thought swarmed her mind, what if I turn into her?

Vada sat on the bay window in her bedroom, staring down at her forearm.

It was much worse since her first time doing it. Her mother was right, it was an addiction, there was no stopping, you'll do it just to feel that high; to feel that emptiness. It only lasted a few seconds but it was worth it.

There was a light knock on her bedroom door, snapping her out of her trance. She looked over and met eyes with her father. She pulled down her sleeve and smiled softly at him.

"Have fun?" He asked as he sat in front of her.

She nodded. "Yeah, I had a great time."

Casey nodded and looked down, his smile fading. "Talk to your mom?" He asked, looking back up at her.

"No and I don't want to."

He sighed. "Look, I know, she lied and you're hurt but she's hurt too, you went through her personal stuff and that isn't okay, Vade."

She huffed as she tilted her head slightly in annoyance and she lost eye contact and said, "Not you too."

"All I'm saying is that she lied to you because she wanted to protect you. When your mother was pregnant, all she ever wanted was to protect you from her past, all she ever said was how much she was scared of you turning into her. She saw it in her mother then watched herself turn into that same person, it traumatized her. Even now, after all these years, she's still not the same person she was when we first met, before she started to turn into her mother." Vada gulped nervously and looked down as he continued, "She doesn't want that for you." He paused. "I don't want that for you."

Vada shook her head lightly and looked back up at her father and said, "No, I'll admit, what I did was messed up but no matter how much she wanted to protect me, it doesn't change the fact that she lied to me for sixteen years. I'll talk to her but for you, not for her." Casey reluctantly nodded, knowing nothing will change her mind. He then stood up and she watched as he left.