Chapter Four

Jennifer glanced over at the front door when she heard it open. She smiled softly when she saw Casey and Vada come into sight.

"Welcome home, Vada, how was-" Vada rushed past Casey and ran upstairs, ignoring her mother. "School..." She finished, but it was already too late. The sound of Vada's door slamming shut echoed throughout the house. Casey sighed softly and turned towards Jennifer, who had a look of confusion on her face. "Did something happen?" She asked as she walked over to him.

"Uhh, yeah, we need to talk."

Vada threw her book bag in the corner of her room before walking over to her bay window and she sat down and let out a huff.

It's been a few weeks since this school year has started and kids have been giving me a hard time with all the rumors spreading around about me and about my family. It was really getting to me.

Vada looked out the window at the house across the street. Her eyes immediately landed on Michael, and a moment later, he looked up at her window and a smile appeared on his face. He lifted his arm up and waved at her. Vada waved back at him before looking down at her lap.

Well, school hasn't been all that bad. Me and Michael have gotten really close over these past few weeks. A lot of friendly flirting. I don't know; I like him. He's cool.

Vada leaned back against the wall and inhaled softly. She looked down at her phone as it went off. It was a text message from Michael, it read,

Hey neighbor! 4:08pm.

She turned her head to the side and looked over at the house across the street. Michael, in what she assumed was his bedroom window, caught her attention. She smiled sweetly when Michael grinned at her and she looked back down at her phone just as it went off once again.

My mom invited your family to dinner. Are you coming? 4:09pm.

Vada furrowed her eyebrows lightly. She didn't know about this, but maybe it was just because she ran out on her mother, not giving her the chance to tell her. She looked down at her phone and texted him back.

I'll be there. 4:09pm.

She plopped down on her bed after finishing getting ready for the dinner at the Moore's, there was a light knock on her bedroom door. She looked over at the door as she said, "Come in." The door opened and Jennifer came into sight. She walked over to her daughter and sat beside her.

"Can we talk?" Vada nodded lightly and sat back and her back pressed against the headboard. "Your father told me what happened today." Vada didn't respond. She only readjusted herself so her legs were pressed against her body.

Today at school was one of the worst days of the school year so far. Alice was picking a fight with me like she usually does and I ignored her and I guess it ticked her off because at lunch, she and her friends embarrassed me in front of everyone by tossing their trays on me. Usually, I wouldn't have cared that much, but I was feeling especially emotional because just 10 minutes before, I found out my best friend Eve, who was my best friend since Elementary School, committed suicide from being bullied and at that moment when I was being humiliated, all I could think about was Eve and how I wasn't there to protect her and I lost it. I punched Alice and we fought and we got suspended for 2 weeks.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that."

Vada furrowed her eyebrows lightly in confusion and looked into her mother's glossy blue eyes and asked, "Why are you apologizing? You didn't do anything."

Jennifer looked over at her daughter and a small smile appeared on her face. "Thanks, squish, and if you want, we can always just transfer you-"

Vada shook her head, interrupting her mother. "No, that's okay. I like it there." She stated.

Jennifer took a moment before nodding and she stood up from the bed and turned towards Vada and looked down at her. "We're leaving in ten minutes, okay?" Vada nodded up at her mother and Jennifer walked over to her bedroom door and walked out and closed the door behind her. Vada sighed softly and looked down at her hands, holding her legs against her body.

She didn't tell them about Eve. The thing she hated the most.. empathy.

"Vada, let's go!" The sound of her mother's voice broke her from her trance. She stood up from her bed and grabbed her phone from her bay window before going downstairs, joining her parents at the front door. They looked over at her. "Ready?" Jennifer asked her daughter and she nodded.

"Yeah."

Jennifer knocked lightly on the door, and a moment later, it swung open. A woman who seemed to be in her mid-thirties greeted them with a wide smile.

"Hi, you must be Mrs. Moore." Jennifer said, holding out her hand to the woman.

She nodded and took Jennifer's hand and said, "I am, but please, call me Angela."

Jennifer smiled and nodded and took her hand away from her grasp as she spoke. "I'm Jennifer and this is my daughter Vada and my husband Casey." Vada furrowed her eyebrows at the word husband.

"It's very nice to meet you."
Vada looked up at the woman from her mother and smiled softly in response.

"You too." Casey replied.

"Please, come in." Angela said as she moved aside to let them walk into her home. Jennifer walked in, followed by Casey, then Vada. Vada looked down at her mother's hand and saw a wedding band. She glanced over at her father's hand and saw a ring as well.

Again with this? What the hell...

"What is going on?" She mumbled to herself.

"I would like you guys to meet my two sons and my daughter." Vada looked up from the ground and saw three kids approaching them. She immediately looked over at Michael.
"This is Michael, Asher, and Julia." Michael grinned at Vada. Meanwhile, Asher showed no interest in introducing himself to the family, he looked as if he didn't even want to be there.

Julia stood up and smiled widely. "Hey, I'm Julia."

Vada glanced over at her from Michael and smiled softly. "I know. We have English together."

Julia nodded lightly as the smile remained on her face. "Right, I remember." She said shyly, tucking her jet-black hair behind her ear.
Vada hummed quietly before walking past her to Michael.

"Hey you."

Vada giggled lightly, looking into his green eyes. "Hey." She replied and he smiled softly at her as he admired her.

"Michael, your girlfriend is here!"

Vada's eyes slightly widened, but quickly returned to their normal size when Michael looked back at her from his mother. "Girlfriend?"

He nodded. "Yeah, her name is Grace." Vada nodded and smiled softly.

"Well, you don't want to keep her waiting."

"Right." Vada watched as he walked past her. She looked back in front of her and sighed softly.

Why do I feel so disappointed? It's not like I like him like that or anything, I mean he's just a friend.. right? Holy shit, I like Michael.