Chapter Eighteen

It's been a few days, It's Vada's birthday. She wanted to tell Julia about Michael before her birthday but everytime she tried, Julia would get distracted and not even hear her. She decided to tell her tomorrow, so she wouldn't have to do it in front of everyone.

Vada sat in the food court of the local mall with the girls and Michael.

"I still don't understand why you're here." Julia said to her brother.

Vada looked over from Chloe and before Michael could respond, she said, "I invited him."

Julia looked over at her and furrowed her eyebrows. "Why?" She asked, confusion in the tone of her voice.

Vada could feel all eyes on her, like they were expecting her to tell the truth. "We're friends." She practically blurted out and Julia stared at her for a moment before she replied with a simple "okay" and looked back at Sayori. Vada gulped lightly. She felt so relieved she bought it but so guilty for lying. She looked down momentarily then looked back at Chloe, who sighed.

"You're going to have to tell her eventually." Chloe told her, looking down at her lap, annoyed with her cousin.

Vada let out a soft breath and nodded. "Yeah..." She mumbled and slightly gripped Michael's hand that rested on her leg. He glanced down at her as she stared down at his hand and couldn't help but graze over the ring on his finger. He set his other hand on top of hers, causing her to look up at him. He gave her a reassuring smile and she smiled back at him then looked back at Chloe.

"I'm home!" Vada announced as she shut the door behind her. She looked around when she didn't get a response back. She walked into the kitchen and immediately stopped dead in her tracks when her loved ones began jumping from their hiding places and yelled "surprise" at her. Vada's face softened and she smiled sweetly.

"Happy birthday, Vada." Michael said, walking up to her as she looked up at him.

"Thank you." She said in a soft, sweet voice as he pulled her into a short hug. She smiled at him before walking past him to her parents. "Thanks guys, this is great."

They smiled at her. "Of course, honey." Jennifer said, placing a hand on her daughter's arm.

"That's a nice necklace, where'd you get it from?" Daxon asked, who stood beside his sister.

Vada looked up at him from her necklace and placed her hand over it. "Oh, uhm, just a friend."

"Go and have fun, Vada. It's your birthday." Casey said, placing a hand on her shoulder and she smiled up at him and nodded then turned and walked over to her friends.

Vada was mid-conversation with Michael when they were approached by Julia.

"Hey, Vada. There's someone I want you to meet!" Before Vada could say anything to Julia or Michael, she was pulled away from him. He grinned at her and shook his head and she smiled softly back at him then turned to meet eyes with a boy with hazel eyes and medium-length, shaggy blonde hair. "Vada, this is Chris, my boyfriend. Chris, this is Vada, she's my best friend." Chris smiled softly at Vada and she did the same.

"Nice to meet you." Vada said.

"You too."

"Julia, get your ass over here!"