Chapter Eight

"Vada, someone's here for you!"

Vada sighed softly and stood up from her bed.
She had almost forgot about the science project she had to do with Alice.
She walked downstairs and stood beside her mother who was standing at the front door.

"Ready?" Alice asked as Jennifer walked off into the living room's direction.

"Yeah, come on." Alice walked into her house and Vada closed the door behind her. "We can work in my room." Vada said and walked past her father in the kitchen and into the dining room and she walked up the stairs and Alice followed behind her.

"Okay, so you need to attach the wire to the.."

Vada tried her best to listen to Alice but she couldn't. She couldn't stop thinking about her mother, with the little information she got, she feels like she doesn't know her mother at all and that her whole life has been a lie and now, she doesn't know what to believe.

"Vada, that's enough!" Vada snapped out of her trance and dropped the pilers onto the floor. Alice sighed softly. "Let me take over, you can do the research part." Vada nodded slightly and switched positions with Alice and she said, "What's your problem anyways? No snarky comments, no attitude, no calling me a bitch, it's not like you."

Vada glanced over at her and rolled her eyes at the sneer look on her face as she moved wires around with the pliers. She sighed softly and looked down at the computer in front of her and said, "Just not in the mood today, okay?"

Alice could hear the bit of annoyance in the tone of her voice and she snickered but nodded. "Okay loser."
Vada glanced over at her and furrowed her eyebrows lightly.

What is this? She's being friendly-rude, is that even a thing? I thought she hated me or was only interested in me because of my dad.. what's change? She seems so different outside of school.

There was a knock on Vada's bedroom door before it opened and Casey came into sight and he said, "Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt-"

Alice smiled sweetly at him. "Oh, you're not interrupting, if anything you're welcome to join."

Vada shut her eyes lightly and huffed in annoyance. Casey scoffed and looked down at his daughter as she looked back up at him. "Just wanted to drop some snacks off for you guys." He said, gesturing a plate full of vegetables, fruit and crackers to her.

Vada smiled softly at him and took the plate from him. "Thanks, dad."

"Yeah, thanks!" Alice chimed in eagerly.

Casey smiled softly and stepped back, his hand resting on the doorknob. "Bye girls." He said, closing her bedroom door.

Vada turned towards Alice as she tossed a grape in her mouth. "Do you have to flirt with my dad every time you see him?"

Alice gave her a sly smile before she spoke. "Do you have to question everything I do?"

Vada inhaled sharply and looked back at the computer. "You missed a spot."

Alice looked over at the project from Vada and furrowed her eyebrows and asked, "What? Where?"

Vada glanced over at the figure and pointed to a blank spot. "There."