Illegal Dragon

So now they had something else to worry about: what might happen to Hagrid if anyone found out he was hiding an illegal dragon in his hut. "Wonder what it's like to have a peaceful life," Ron sighed, as evening after evening they struggled through all the extra homework they were getting.

Hermione had now started making study schedules for Kirra, Harry and Ron, too. It was driving them nuts, though of course Hermione had to make a point saying;

"Kirra you are in Hufflepuff, you are supposed to be hard working" Hermione says with a huff as Kirra let out a whine as Hermione handed her over the study planner

"I am hard working Hermione, I work very hard to make sure that my sleeping schedule is the best that it can be," Kirra replied and Harry and Ron both snorted with laughter while hermiones face went red and stern.

"That's enough, im giving you this study planner and I can assure you that it would be in your best interests to follow it," Hermione huffed frustratedly and kirra let out a sigh before nodding and taking the paper from Hermione, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

Then, one breakfast time, Hedwig brought Harry another note from Hagrid. He had written only two words: It's hatching. Kirra and Ron wanted to skip Herbology and go straight down to the hut. Hermione wouldn't hear of it. "Hermione, how many times in our lives are we going to see a dragon hatching?" Ron asked her in shock and annoyance

"We've got lessons, we'll get into trouble, and that's nothing to what Hagrid's going to be in when someone finds out what he's doing—" Hermione started

"Shut up!" Harry whispered and Kirra looked at him with wide eyes, not used to seeing the aggression coming from the boy, and if she were being honest, she didn't like it.

Malfoy and Theodore were only a few feet away and they had stopped dead to listen. How much had they heard? Kirra didn't like the look on Malfoy's or Nott's face at all. Ron and Hermione argued all the way to Herbology and in the end, Hermione agreed to run down to Hagrid's with the other three during morning break.

When the bell sounded from the castle at the end of their lesson, the four of them dropped their trowels at once and hurried through the grounds to the edge of the forest. Hagrid greeted them, looking flushed and excited.

"It's nearly out." He ushered them inside. The egg was lying on the table. There were deep cracks in it. Something was moving inside; a funny clicking noise was coming from it. They all drew their chairs up to the table and watched with bated breath.

All at once there was a scraping noise and the egg split open. The baby dragon flopped onto the table. It was absolutely beautiful; Kirra thought as she looked down at the small black creature. Its spiny wings were huge compared to its skinny jet body, it had a long snout with wide nostrils, the stubs of horns and bulging, orange eyes. It sneezed. A couple of sparks flew out of its snout.

"Isn't he beautiful?" Hagrid murmured and Kirra just nodded her head as she leant down to get a better look at it, her eyes as wide as the moon. Hagrid reached out a hand to stroke the dragon's head.

It snapped at his fingers, showing pointed fangs. "Bless him, look, he knows his mommy!" said Hagrid but then the dragon turned away from Hagrid and marched over towards Kirras arm which was placed onto the table and it snuggled into it and let out a content kind of purr.

Kirras grin went even wider and she went to pat him, and he snuggled into her even more, "I think he likes me" Kirra said with a grin and let out a small chuckle as she scratched under his chin.

"I think he loves you," Hagrid said with a wide grin as he watched the dragon interact lovingly with the Hufflepuff girl as she giggled, patting the dragon and playing with it.