Dobby The House Elf

Kirra let out a small sigh and went up to her room and grabbed whiskers before going back downstairs and going through the front door. It was a brilliant, sunny day, which meant it was warm, which she was more than happy about.

She crossed the lawn, slumped down on the garden bench, and sang under her breath as she pets whiskers who had curled up on her lap: "Happy birthday to me . . . happy birthday to me . . ."

No cards, no presents, and she would be spending the evening pretending not to exist in a room with her twin brother who was currently mad at her even though he had been the one who had done the wrong thing.

She didn't care that she hadn't gotten any presents, though she had been upset not to hear from a single one of her friends. She gazed miserably into the hedge. She had never felt so lonely. More than anything else at Hogwarts, more even than playing Quidditch, Kirra missed her best friends, Adira, Rudy and the Weasley twins.

They, however, didn't seem to be missing her at all. None of them had written to her all summer, even though the twins and Adira had said they were going to ask Kirra to come and stay. Had her friends forgotten it was her birthday? Or did they just forget about her completely?

What wouldn't she give now for a message from Hogwarts? From any witch or wizard? She'd almost be glad of a sight of her archenemy, Theodore Nott, just to be sure it hadn't all been a dream and it only seemed to be worse than the person she thought she was closest to, her twin brother, could hardly stand the sight of her.

Kirra had been humming 'knee socks' by the Arctic Monkeys softly and had been staring absent-mindedly into the hedge — and the hedge was staring back.

Two enormous green eyes had appeared among the leaves causing Kirra's eyes to widen in shock. Kirra quickly grabbed whiskers and jumped to her feet just as a jeering voice floated across the lawn.

"I know what day it is," sang Dudley, waddling toward her. The huge eyes blinked and vanished.

"What?" said Kirra, not taking her eyes off the spot where they had been, not even bothering to pay attention to her cousin who had clearly only come outside to torment her and be the asshole she swore he was born to be.

"I know what day it is," Dudley repeated, coming right up to her, a big smirk on his face.

"Well done," said Kirra with a sarcastic tone. "So you've finally learned the days of the week."

"Today's your birthday," sneered Dudley. "How come you haven't got any cards? Haven't you even got friends at that freak place?"

"Look Duddykins, how about you just leave me alone for once and go waddle back into the kitchen and eat some more bacon," said Kirra coolly. Dudley hitched up his trousers, which were slipping down his fat bottom.

"Why're you staring at the hedge?" he said suspiciously, peeking over her shoulder to get a better look.

"I'm trying to decide what would be the best spell to set it on fire," said Kirra sarcastically, just wanting to be left alone and not reminded that her friends had forgotten about her. Dudley stumbled backward at once, a look of panic on his fat face.

"You c-can't — Dad told you you're not to do m-magic — he said he'll chuck you out of the house — and you haven't got anywhere else to go — you haven't got any friends to take you —"

"Jiggery pokery!" said Kirra in a fierce voice. "Hocus pocus — squiggly wiggly —"

"MUUUUUUM!" howled Dudley, tripping over his feet as he dashed back toward the house. "MUUUUM! She's doing you know what!" Kirra had paid dearly for her moment of fun. As neither Dudley nor the hedge was in any way hurt, Aunt Petunia knew she hadn't really done magic, but she still had to duck as she aimed a heavy blow at her head with the soapy frying pan, which had hit her harshly in the arm leaving a giant bruise.