12 • Ornament Me

Stella and I part ways outside the market. It's already dusk, and I know black ice is going to rear its ugly head any minute. I start trekking back to my dad's truck extra carefully. I only have two bags full of groceries and my purse. Still, the added weight makes me a little off-balance -not to mention the inches and inches of snow that have fallen since I arrived.

Does it ever stop snowing here?

I plant my snow boots firmly on the ground and hoist the grocery bag into the truck bed. Well, I try to hoist it. My left leg slides out from under me and I drop my purse upside down so its contents drizzle all over the snow.

"Careful!" Someone grunts beside me. Their arm catches under mine just in time.

"Thanks, I-" I start. I stop abruptly when I see my savior. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"If by that you mean thank you, then yes." Nik's smile is soft and slightly lopsided.

I push his arm away from mine, feeling a pain in my shoulder. I need to stop wiping out in front of his guy! Nik's wearing the same puffer vest from last night, only thing time it's over a green flannel shirt. He still smells the same -like warm, spiced pinecones.

That's not even a real smell!

"Why are you here?" I ask, outraged.

"Well, I saw a damsel falling and decided to prevent it," Nik jokes, dryly.

"I'm not a damsel, this is 2021," I say gruffly. "But thanks."

"Quite welcome," Nik says.

Nik picks up the remaining (damaged) grocery bag and puts it in the truck for me. "Hope the eggs are OK," he says.

"They'll live." I start walking away and yanking open the rusty driver-side door.

I slam on the gas a little too overzealously and hear the truck screech as I pull away from the curb. I'm beyond annoyed. How does this crazy flannel-forest-obsessed man keep popping up? Why do I keep making a fool out of myself when he does? Thanks, universe. You already stole Preston, was that not enough?

I'm freezing the whole way home; not to mention I am stuck listening to old classic Christmas since my dad's radio is busted and apparently stuck on this one channel. I can't help but find myself replaying my encounter with Nik on a loop in my mind.

What would happen if the next I ran into Nik, I didn't literally physically run into him? Could we have a normal conversation?

Psh, next time.

...

I unload the groceries and my mom is already halfway done her third batch of cookies within an hour.

"Mom, I ran into Stella Rae and invited her to make ornaments tonight. That OK?" I call from the hallway.

I desperately need to change out of my wet clothes again. I pull on jeans and one of the many sweaters I took from my closet back in New York.

"Stella Rae Lopez?" My mom asks.

"Yes!" I shout. The only Stella we know, I think to myself. "She's bringing her wife!"

"The more the merrier!" My mom's muffled voice floats from the kitchen.

Thirty minutes and a quick dinner later, we are clearing the couches to accommodate company and to prep for ornament making. My mom brought out two bottles of my aunt and uncle's homemade mulled wine.

"Hon, that's the door," my mom shouts.

I already heard the doorbell. I pull open the door and greet Stella and Dani.

"Noe, this is Dani, my beautiful and way too good for me wife," Stella says, indicating the striking woman beside her. Dani is easily six-foot-tall and could effortlessly portray Sacagawea in a movie.

"Hi, Noelle. It's so nice to meet you." Dani is a hugger.

"You too! Come in," I say, ushering them both inside.

"Your place is lovely," Dani says, unraveling her scarf.

My mom hangs their coats on the rack and disappears to the kitchen, reemerging seconds later with a plate of warm cookies.

Crocheting ensues. Lots of yarn and velvet and hot glue. We even sew little buttons onto the snowmen. Mom has learned a lot of new tricks. I'm aware this goes against my newly proclaimed, anti-cheer campaign. I came for the wine.

"Ok. Done number four," Stella says. "I'm ready for more yarn."

"Me too," I say.

"These are all for the ornament drive?" Dani asks, adding her last candy cane to the pile.

"Yes. All proceeds go towards the Pear Tree Pageant or the Barn Benefit." My mom nods. "Last year we had just under 100 total."

"We're well past that," I say. I tie a ribbon onto the end of my star and add it to the pile on the table.

I stretch back and watch the fire for a second, massaging my hands together. Carpel tunnel problems.

"I think this year they're doing sleigh rides at the benefit, right?" Dani asks.

"Ha," I laugh sarcastically. "Let me guess, Jolly Old Lumberjack Nik is driving his reindeer?"

"As a matter-of-fact, yes." My mom peers at me from behind her glasses.

The ornament nearest me is a reindeer head. It kind of looks like Trotter. "Is he always so -cheerful? Does he think he's Santa?"

"Oh, he's just in the holiday mood. Some of us still believe in the season, Noelle." My mother ticks her tongue at me.

Please.

"Well, I will gladly skip the sleigh rides this year. Last night way one too many." I shrug, flipping my long ponytail behind my back.

"Cookies are gone," my mother says.

"Wine is gone too," Stella says, placing her empty glass back on the table.

I spot the empty bottles on the table.

"I'll get another bottle!" I say, sliding off the couch. I grab my phone and unlock it on my way to the kitchen.

Stella follows me over to the edge of the room.

"Need help with the wine?" She asks.

"Sure. You can get another bottle. Think we need more cookies?"

"You know, for Nik driving you crazy, you certainly have no qualms talking about him." Stella grins at me. I divert my eyes to her white sweater.

"Hey! Don't even think it," I accuse. "I'm just saying, why would my parents think it appropriate to send someone I've never met to get me! In the middle of the night?"

"Point taken, but Nik's harmless. Really, he's an incredibly sweet one. Compassionate and easy-going and the ruggedly handsome thing doesn't hurt-"

"Are you sure you're in love with Dani?" I ask, sarcastic.

"I'm just suggesting maybe you give the guy a break. It's his first Christmas here and he's obviously trying to make a good impression on the town," Stella tells me, like it's something I should already know.

"Obviously. He just doesn't need to leave the impression on me." I nod matter-of-factly.

"Whatever you say," Stella laughs at me.

"Wine is back," I announce, taking my spot on the couch again. "Ornament me."