32 • Ice Skate Saga

Nik watches me, apprehensive.

"Well, let's go," I say, urging him forward.

We walk over to the ticket shack set up by the entrance. It's decorated with white lights and strands of tinsel. Inside are shelves and shelves of multi-color rental skates and a display of snowflake mittens for sale.

"Hiya. Sippin' an' skatin' today?" The cheery man behind the stall asks. His Santa hat is almost identical to Nik's.

"Two pairs, please. An 11 and," Nik looks at me, waiting for me to give my shoe size.

"A size 7, please." I answer.

The man fetches two pairs of skates from the shelves and sets them on the counter.

"Hot chocolate and cider down there," the man says, his head indicating the very end of the booth.

"Pass."

"We'll get some after," Nik says politely.

Nik and I take the red and black skates over to the nearest bench and sit down. We untie our boots and start pulling up the laces on our skates. A quick glance at my phone shows me Preston posted a new story to his page. I'm sick of these notifications!

In no time we are stowing away our things beneath the bench (my phone included) and walking gingerly to the smooth ice.

"I am actually skating with Santa." I sigh out loud.

"Don't sound so excited about it," Nik laughs.

"It just wasn't on my schedule today," I defend myself, grinning.

"But definitely a bucket list item, right?" Nik jokes.

The frozen pond is a perfect circle of smooth, opaque ice. It's surrounded by a solid wall of snow that looks like an ice-covered wreath. It is so packed with people that 1. I'm not sure how we are actually supposed to skate and 2. There is a 50-50 chance this baby cracks.

My gloved hand clutches Nik's arm tightly. I take my first step onto the pond rink, my legs wobbling ever so slightly beneath me.

"I haven't been ice skating in years!" I shout. "I bet you come all the time."

"Hardly," Nik says. "But it's a bit like riding bike."

"A very slippery and unbalanced bike," I say.

I do one quick lap before I fall back into my old groove.

"I used to come here every year growing up." I try a small spin on one foot. It's not as effortless as it used to be.

"Oh yeah?" Nik asks. "I never pegged you as a figure skater."

"And how do you know I wasn't practicing for the hockey team?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Never pegged you as a hockey player either," he grins. "But picturing them both now and it's a nice visual."

"Don't picture me at all!" I yell.

We skate around the pond a few times, staying close to perimeter. The wooden fence's white lights flash and fade in the gray afternoon. I fall a couple times, grappling onto Nik's arm for support. Once or twice Nik wipes out, blaming the chunks of ice, of course. It's all very Christmas movie, and the vibes are killing me.

We take a quick breather by the side fence, sipping hot cocoa, because why not?

"So," Nik says, brushing loose ice from my coat shoulder. "Do you have plans for tomorrow?"

"Plans? I don't make plans," I quip. Nik's eyes crease as he smiles. I can't stop staring into his deep eyes.

"Well–"

"Hi! Hey, Noe!" Someone shouts.

Deja and Stella are walking down the slope towards our spot at the fence. Deja is holding several shopping bags that I'm confident are teeming with hand-knitted ornaments and homemade Christmas cookies.

I glance apologetically at Nik, a little dissatisfied that our conversation about tomorrow night was thwarted.

"Fancy meeting you guys here!" Stella says.

"Hi guys," I smile. "See you found some goodies."

"I blame the elves," Deja says.

"Mind if we join?" Stella asks. "Logan's been asking to go ice skating for ages. I should probably make sure I can first."

"Sure," Nik answers for us.

We wait by the entrance as Deja and Stella lace up their own skates and join us on the frozen pond.

"Definitely different views from Rockefeller Center," Deja says, her eyes wide.

She hangs her head back and stares up at the sky, swirling around so her hair fans out behind her. Soon we all follow her lead. I let my head fall back like my neck is a weak hinge. I stare at the snow-dusted tops of towering pine trees set against a whirling gray-blue sky.

Nik floats into view in a blur of chocolate brown and candy apple -compliments of the Santa suit.

"Better views," I whisper quietly.

We skate for another hour or so and, by the time we put our snow boots back on, my feet are already protesting. Nik and I share nothing more than stolen glances and furtive smiles. I'm still wondering what he wanted to ask me about tomorrow.

...

Stella, Deja, and I left Nik at the pond rink's exit. He was still leaning against the wooden fence with his tied skates hanging from his hands –a totally cool and blasé Santa. We finally leave the North Pole around dinner time.

The three of us get a quick bite to eat at the corner café. Soup of the Day is creamy cheddar ham. Halfway through the meal, my phone chimes with two new messages from Preston. I feel a pit in my stomach, or maybe just an overactive butterfly. I can't bring myself to open his messages in front of Stella and Deja.

I can't bring myself to stop thinking about them.

"I think Noe was a little smitten on the ice today. Twirling and swirling –I think it's love," Deja says, airily.

"Please." I brush her off.

"An epic love story unfolding," Stella says.

"Oh yes, a great ice skate saga of the twenty-first century."

"We are only teasing," Stella says.

"I'm not," Deja quickly interjects. "Noe, don't tell me you aren't the least bit into him."

"I –it's complicated," I say, realizing it is the most cliché thing in the world. "I know how it sounds, but it's true! I live in New York. He lives here. He's so outdoorsy and I'm not."

"Outdoorsy?" Stella laughs.

"If that's your only excuse babe, I got news for you. You SO love him." Deja laughs.

"Oh my –You can't get back to New York fast enough." I roll my eyes.

"Ugh wish I could stay the night! I would if our VP wasn't coming in from corporate." Deja sulks in the back.

Stella turns into the snowy station's parking lot.

As it's closer to the holidays, at least four other people are waiting at the station to take a train back towards the city.

"Text me when you're on the train!" I hug Deja goodbye.

"You better have all the stories to tell me when you get back, Noe!" Deja says.