21 • Dinner Party

Nik walks away from me and joins the adults in the kitchen. I say adult as if we aren't also adults. I know Nik is at least 30 -almost the same age as Preston.

"Ugh!" I sigh loudly in the foyer.

Ugh to Nik and ugh to Preston!

I have half a mind to race down the hallway right now -even brave the intimidating nutcracker just to hide out in my room all night.

I cannot believe my mother.

I cannot believe I am wearing this stupid sweater! But what I can't believe even more is that I care that Nik saw me in it!

I approach cautiously, making extra certain that my eyes don't wander up to Nik's. Maybe it's the paranoia, but I'm almost certain I can feel his eyes on me as I pour a glass of white wine.

After eating an appetizer or two, I escape down the hall to my room. I pull my phone out and call Stella.

"Noelle?" She answers.

"Stel!" I whisper-shout into my phone. "Nik is here! At our silly dinner party!"

"The hot toddy? Is he? But I thought it was just your aunt and uncle?" She asks.

"Yeah, me too. Then he just shows up in my foyer!" I pace around my room.

"And he's staying for dinner?"

"Considering he took his coat off," I growl. "I'm guessing that's a strong possibility."

"Well, I don't know what you're complaining about. You're obviously into him." Stella starts talking to someone in the background.

"Excuse me?! Stella, I'm in a strict no-fun, no-Christmas, no-men mindset right now! And my mother is clearly trying to meddle with that!" I sigh.

"Noe, it can't be that bad. Just have dinner. Keep your hands to yourself-"

"Oh my god. I called you for support, not encouragement!"

Stella starts laughing on the other end. "Preston Who again? I'm telling you this is a sign."

"Ok bye -Thanks for nothing! Ugh!"

I drop my phone on the hall table and fluff up my hair in the mirror.

"There you are, Noelle." My mother waves me over to her side as I re-enter the party.

"What did you invite Nik for?" I whisper.

"He was alone tonight -Your aunt mentioned. It's so horrible to be alone at Christmastime,"

"It's literally not Christmas."

"Close enough," my mother hisses. "I added another table setting for Nik. Why don't you show our guests to their seats?"

"Aunt Holly and Uncle Hank know where our dining room is, mom," I say, rolling my eyes. Still, I acquiesce.

"Everyone follow me," I announce. I'm careful to pull the bottle of wine off the counter as I pass.

My aunt and uncle set their drinks down on one side of the table, leaving the heads my parents. I put my wine glass down on the side next to the French doors that lead to the patio. Nik looks between me, and the one seat left open before sitting down right beside to me.

I deconstruct the napkin origami and lay it across my lap.

"Cute," Nik says, picking up his own swan creature. "Did you make them?"

"Course not."

My mother uncovers the Cornish Hen wannabes. Ten minutes in, all our plates are laden with way too much food -more than is humanly possible to eat. We sip on our drinks and exchange pleasantries. I'm dreading the moment the conversation steers towards me.

"Yes, we're keeping the farm open through Christmas Eve Day this year. You wouldn't believe how many people showed up last year on Christmas Eve." My Uncle Hank dips his spoon into his soup.

"Lucky we have Nik this yea. And Kit," my aunt says. "Couldn't get along without them."

At least Nik has the modesty to turn slightly pink at her adulations.

"So, what is it you're up to in the city, Noelle? Still working in the marketing world?" My uncle asks.

"Yes, same thing. Digital content marketing, specially targeting online and social medias." I nod.

"So, you get paid for posting pictures?" Nik asks. I can't tell if it's a dig.

"No, not exactly. I'm more on the back end. Digital development and campaign ideas for our brands. You're thinking influencers," I say, rolling my eyes.

"And you're not one of those?" Nik asks.

"Definitely not." I shake my head, ladling more casserole onto my plate.

"Feel like you could be," Nik says, off-hand.

"Is that a compliment or insult?" I arch my brows. I really can't tell, but before he clarifies my mom is already talking over us.

"Oh, our Noelle has a superb job. Easy to blame that we can never get her out of New York!" My mom laughs. "Well, partly to blame. That and the boyfriend-"

My mom stops abruptly, evidently realizing her faux paus. Everyone goes quiet and it gets real awkward real fast. Nik pretends to scratch his neck to not look at me.

I blame the punch for her clear lack of faculties.

"Anyway," I say, trying to change the subject. "That's great about the farm. Hope you'll have enough trees for next year."

Everyone laughs at my feeble joke. I even see Nik chuckle once. My skin suddenly feels hot and prickly under my ugly sweater.

"Speaking of, Nik you're still starting deliveries at 8 AM tomorrow, right?" My aunt asks.

"Sure am. Loaded up the trees and wreaths just before dinner." Nik says way too happily.

"Noelle, why don't you join Nik again?" My dad asks.

"Oh, no, that's OK. Once was enough," I say, shaking my head.

"Oh come on hun, you don't have any plans tomorrow," my mom says.

"My plan is to have no plans," I say.

"You sure? You did manage to survive last night. I promise there will be no talk of ex-boyfriends." Nik grins.

sitting beside him, I can really see how his smooth chocolatey eyes are the same color as his hair. I wonder how soft and lush it would be between my fingers. Nik's beard crawls up his face and over his lips and -NO!

"I'm sure. I don't want to risk it," I say, giving a false smile.