15 • Holly & Hank

"Busier every year, I'll tell you that-"

"-Expect to get on a Sunday."

"Hun, we need another roll of netting."

"I think he's out in field four. On the tractor."

I catch bits and pieces of conversation as I make my way inside the tree shed.

My Aunt Holly is wearing her classic winter sweater -white and red striped with her name embroidered in black. I see Joywritten across my mom's chest and realize my aunt must have knitted her one too.

If you were wondering why my name was so Christmassy -there you have it. My grandparents named my mother Joy and my aunt Holly. Then my mom met my dad, whose name is Chris, and his last name was Manger.

Ergo: Noelle Manger.

I envy Hank.

My dad returns carrying a hammer and a spool of orange tree netting.

I clear my throat to announce my arrival.

"Hi everyone," I say.

"Miss Noelle!" Aunt Holly squeals with delight when she sees me.

"Hiya! Look who finally came to help." My uncle pats me on the back.

"Does she look like she came to work in those high-heel snow booties?" My mom comments, crossing both arms over her chest.

"Hi Aunt Holly, Uncle Hank," I say, hugging them both. "How're the trees? This place is packed. You must be happy."

"I'll be happy when they run out," Uncle Hank corrects me.

"Busiest year we have had. I was just telling your mother I had to start making more snowflake blankets -sold out in the gift shop!" Aunt Holly tells me.

Uncle Hank moves a pair of gloves from the stool for me.

I take a seat next to mom, who is arranging tree tags by number. My aunt is counting cash receipts at the register.

"We didn't know you were coming home for Christmas this year, Noelle," Uncle Hank says.

"Neither did I. It was last minute."

"Honey, I was so sad to hear that you split with your boyfriend. Preston was such a sweet-"

My mom glares at her.

"I mean, he was OK. Nothing special." My aunt corrects herself.

"Gotta get back out there. Young and intelligent girl like you -you'll find someone in no time," my uncle says, confirming his eavesdropping.

"Hope not," I quip.

"Someone's a little grumpy," my aunt says.

"I'm not grumpy. I just don't appreciate my recent heartbreak being reduced to casual weather conversation!" I reply.

"You know," my aunt begins, sheepish. "I may know a certain someone. Oh, he's so cute and kind of quiet, but very polite."

"Let me stop you there," I laugh, holding up my hand.

"Don't feel bad. She tries to push our tree-hand off on every girl that walks through here," Uncle Hank crows.

"Haha," I laugh. "Lucky Kit."

"Kit, Stella's brother?" My mom asks, looking confused. "I don't think that's who your Aunt Holly was thinking about."

"I just saw him out front-" I insist.

"Joy, can you please pass the scissors," my dad asks.

I adjust my hat on my head to cover more of my ears. Doesn't matter if my hair gets messed up now. The selfie is secured.

"Noelle, you must be freezing. feel free to go up to the house. Tonks is up there," my uncle says.

Tonks is their old golden retriever.

"That's fine. I've adjusted to the cold now," I tell him.

I pull out my phone and start sifting through my recent pics. After selecting my favorite two, I pick one and post it to my story. I'll just sit and wait patiently for Preston to see it.

"Do you have plans later?" My aunt asks. "We need to make the wreaths after we close up today."

"Make more wreaths?" I peer out the back door of the tree hut and see the racks of wreaths,

"Every couple days we take the fallen branches and parts of trees we cut off and we make new wreaths," my uncle says.

"It's recycling," my mom says, matter of fact.

"I'll pass on making wreaths," I say.

"Oh, it'll be so fun. We drink all the leftover cider too." My aunt winks.

I love that my family thinks I'm an alcoholic.

"I'll watch y'all make wreaths. How's that?" I ask.

"Holly, dear, Kit's pulling all the loose branches now. Adding them to the other pile," Uncle Hank says.

"Noelle, can you cut some more red taffeta for the bows? It'll give your hands something to do so you can stop checking your phone," my aunt says.

I oblige, accepting a half-unraveled spool of fancy red fabric.

A story response from Jayden pops up across my lock screen. Lots of emojis and some mild profanity.

I cackle to myself before dropping my phone on the workshop ledge.