Chapter 8: Running Away

"Yeah well that little bitch got what she deserved, pretending she was our sister when she's probably dead anyway" Malcolm says, sounding a bit... hurt? after mentioning his sister being dead. I continue my way to find the kitchen, too hurt to hear any more of their words.

I don't find the kitchen but instead I find the front door. I stare at the huge door, thinking about leaving or not. If I leave, I don't know where to go. But at least I'll be free from these people.

'I can just sleep in some motel for a few nights with the money I have left and then maybe get a job. Yeah, that's what I'll do!' My nive self thinks.

'I can't stay in a place where I'm not wanted. Zane was right, I'm probably not his sister anyways and they're all just strangers to me.' Even so, I feel like I'm making a mistake as I reach for the door handle. 'I really hoped this would have played out better for me, how naive I was. I'm leaving this place and never coming back-'.

My thoughts end as I open the door with the exception of seeing the view of the black fence and cars. But there's no view... It takes a couple of seconds before I realise that my sight is being blocked by the view of a black suit.

My eyes slowly make their way upwards until they finally reach a pair of the coldest eyes I've ever seen in my entire life. They're grey, no, so light they're almost a silver color. No emotions are behind those eyes. And the face, stern and emotionless. I quickly back away out of instinct. 

'Who is this man? He looks to be even taller than the others'. It's like authority and dominance is coming off of him in waves. I feel my heart rate increase as I wonder if I should run away or not. Being in this man's presence is making me so nervous that speaking to him feels impossible.

He looked surprised as he noticed me but covered it up within seconds. He looks to be thinking before his eyes darken a shade. He starts getting closer and closer as I keep on backing the opposite way.

I reach the wall making my body unable to keep moving back. The man keeps walking closer and closer as he stops just a few inches away. His tall frame towers my own as he stares into my eyes.

"Did you just try to run away from here?" He asks with a deadly calm voice. It was deep and held power and authority.

"I-i was just g-getting s-some fresh air" I stutter, not sounding confident at all, but I'm surprised I could even say that much. As I thought, he doesn't look fooled at all.

"Do you always get fresh air at 4 AM in the morning?" 'What!? it's that late already?'. I nod, not trusting my voice.

"I'll ask you again, what were you doing going out this late?" He asks, even more seriously than before making me gulp. I don't say a word, how can i? I'll probably be more convincing if I just don't talk at all. Then an idea hit me,

'I don't actually know anything about this guy so maybe I can turn this around and start asking him questions instead'.

"Who are you?" I ask, trying desperately to hide my fear.

"You didn't answer my question?" He says stepping even closer. 'Gosh i hate close spaces and this guy won't break eye contact either'. 

"I already told you my answer so now it's your turn" I say with a shivering voice. 'Wow I'm braver than I thought'.

"Are you telling me what to do little girl?" He asks, sounding a bit pissed.

"Yes.. no! I mean, of course not" I say, panicked.

"You should know i hate lies, now I'm not asking again" He says, threateningly while narrowing his cold eyes on me.

"I was just getting fresh air, really" I nervously say, looking anywhere but him. I feel a strong hand grip my wrist as I flinch from the sudden action. He starts walking towards the direction I came from as I hope that Malcolm and Zane have already left. But of course they're still there, just my luck.

"Can someone explain to me why your little sister was just about to walk away from here without any of you noticing?" The man asks, obviously disappointed.

"Ezekiel, you're back" Zane says surprised, ignoring his question, earning a glare from, wait, Ezekiel!? Like my oldest brother Ezekiel!? I should have known.

"We thought she was sleeping" Malcolm says, giving me a glare like this is all my fault. "Wait, did you say she was getting out of here?" Zane says surprised.

"Why do you sound so surprised? It was what you wanted wasn't it" I thought to myself, but realizing how the room just got quiet I must have said that out loud.

"What's she talking about?" Ezekiel asks the boys, getting angry. They both look down, not saying a word.

"Zane?" Ezekiel warns as Zane clenches his fists.

"What? She probably overheard me saying she doesn't belong here and she doesn't and you know it. This is no place for a spoiled little brat like her and she isn't my sister-"

"Enough!" Ezekiel says threateningly.

"Go to your rooms, both of you" He commands as Zane and Malcolm walk towards their rooms with annoyance but not before giving me angry glares.

"I don't know what happened here but if you ever have a problem you come to me. Make sure i won't find you sneaking out again" He says, walking towards me.

"Why are you just standing there? Go to bed or would you rather me carry you there?" He says as I quickly make my way towards my bed.

'No way am I gonna let him carry me, I would die out of embarrassment'. I carefully lay in bed to not hurt my ribs again.

'Guess I'm gonna be awake the whole night because there's no way I'll be able to sleep like this' I thought, as I put the covers on my freezing body. Not long after I feel warm tears run down my face and onto my pillow.

I cry for the loss of my family, I cry for how broken this new one is, I cry because I'm all alone. 'I don't care what my oldest brother says, the next opportunity I get to run away, I will take it'. I surprisingly fell asleep, even though it was 1 and a half hours later.

"Wake up sunshine" I opened my tired eyes to the face of my nicest brother.

"Domenic thank god" I say, tiredly as he chuckles.

"That bad huh" he says like it was all expected. I sit up on my bed and hug my knees towards my chest.

"They all hate me" I mumble as he sits down beside me on the bed.

"Don't worry, they hate everyone at first" He says as I give him a 'are you serious' look.

"Listen Belle, they've also been through their fair share of things, and I'm not excusing their behavior or anything but maybe just give them some time" He says, making me think back to what Zane and Malcolm was talking about.

"Did someone pretend to be your sister?" I blurt out, making Domenic look at me in surprise. 'Well this is gonna be interesting to hear?'

A/N: What's your thoughts about Ezekiel?