FIVE_

Hands pulled her out of bed, dragging her to her seating room. After months of continuous abuse by numerous night terror, nothing scared her anymore. So, she didn't resist, following whoever without even opening her eyes.

When the fluorescent bulb flashed across her face, she opened her mouth to scream but a hand covered it tightly.

         "Shhhhh,.... The voice said.

Placing her body on a dining chair, she managed to open her eyes. A familiar image formed in her brain. She recognized and leaped.

          "Meso!" She squealed.

Her hands flew into the air, pulling her friend into her bosom. "How in God's name are you here?"

        "Shhh...Please keep it down." Meso placed one finger across her lips. "I snuck into this place with the help of Ruben."

         The name flashed across her mind like the splattering waves. She knew him. He'd once shown her kindness.

Her mind went back to the day Bishop decided he'd had enough of them whistling demons, he decided to exorcise those demons through good old 'whooping'.
After mind battles on whom to assign such task to, the lot fell on Ruben.

         "Who else?" He thought.

The guy was a part time fitness instructor and also a security guard. With his ripped muscles, and huge frame, Bishop Maitama decided to assign him the task.

But luckily for Vivian, the young light skinned man who was not more than thirty had looked upon her with mercy. Instead of flogging 'shegge' out of her with that fifteen inch koboko, they decided to watch movies and share each others stories.

It was there that Ruben revealed his very humble beginning.  He'd lost two parents in a car accident, and the responsibility of his siblings fell on him. Sacrificing his education, he dropped out of school but worked tirelessly for his younger ones who were now in the University.

           At the end of the day, Ruben who also had a side hustle as a makeup artist designed  Vivian's her body as though he really whipped her.

A warm smile ran across her lips. "I remember him."

           "Yes o, my sister. He helped arrange my parade here."

Vivian smiled at Meso's choice of words. Her drama made everywhere light up. "I've been calling you. What happened that you left me in the market like a wet crayfish?"

Meso busted out laughing. "Wet crayfish indeed. My sister, blame it on the First lady, the woman won't let me out of her sight."

Vivian's head shook in disbelief. "Are there no other workers in that house? They are over working you, if you ask me."

Meso giggled. "I'm not asking you jor. Just that your Mom prefers me and it's a good thing."

Pivoting to focus on her friend's troubled face, she ran her palm gently across her shoulders. "I know you are stronger than all of them. But as a Pastor child, you have to stay calm."

Vivian waved her off and got serious, etching a frown on her face. "Don't avoid my question. What actually happened to you?"

Getting off the floor after she'd waited for Vivian to close all the blinds. She began to empty the backpack she had on her shoulders.

           "I know you want answers, but, before we get into that, let me show you everything I brought."

Like a child, Vivian eased her weight on the floor and together, they emptied Meso's bag.