SIX_

First lady Kaima pushed the door bell severely, yet, nothing.

         "Are you sure this girl is at home?" She asked the security personnel attached to Vivian. 

        "Yes ma, she hasn't left her apartment all day." Came the reply of the guard right outside Vivian's door.

Gently, she rocked on her feet, seeming a little frustrated by her daughters delay. She made to walk away but hesitated at the thought. Again, she pushed the bell,this time longer while tapping her thigh impatiently.

The buzzing noise busted Vivian out of her very peaceful night rest. Not waiting a second longer, she ran to the door, only to meet her mother's furious gaze.

        "Are you deaf?" She yelled, stretching her own ear for emphasis.

An unperturbed Vivian gestured a quick hand wave greeting without saying a word. "Why is she here?" She muttered to herself.

Her mother had abstained from any contact with her since her very weird spiritual journey began. She was the same person who made unfounded accusations that whatever ailed her daughter was spiritually contagious.

She also supported her father, the Bishop in every crude deliverance sessions her daughter had been subjected to. She debated this in her mind and accepted that It was highly suspicious and unnerving that the same woman was suddenly at her door, disturbing her peace.

And now that Kelechi, the apple of her eyes had taken a beating from Vivian's demon babies, maybe she'd come to either issue a warning or extend an invite. Which ever one it was, was yet to be seen.

Just then, Vivian's eyes wandered to the glittering gold chains that adorned her mother's neck. It looked like it cost a lot. She couldn't help but wonder how much fortune was wasted on such frivolity.

Two huge gold earrings fought to break loose from her ear lobes, almost slashing the thin skin off. Yet Mrs Maitama pretended as though she wasn't in pain. To top it all, a white Kaftan dress squeezed her contours in place, giving off the appearance of a younger woman.

Gazing at her, she knew her mother was way older than her dad, but that  woman would never be caught shabbily dressed. At  a little above sixty, she could pass for a forty year old.

            "The make up, don't you think it's too much?" Vivian suggested.

Her mom sneered, raising her eyebrows which almost disappeared in her hair lines. "If I descend on you eh, you would think you are already at the devils gate." A long hiss followed that warning, giving off a Mcheww sound!"

 Not backing down, her daughter continued. "I only made an honest observation."

  Sharply, her head lifted and doused the young lady with an intimidating glare. "You are still talking, If I slap you eh?"

Her daughter exhaled exhaustedly, silent and watching.

The First lady, Still muttering under her breath, continued to grumble. "Just shut up if you don't know what to say. And what do you know about make up? Instead of concentrating on how to purge those bush babies out of your system for good, your focus suddenly centers on lecturing me about women affairs."

              "Sorry ma!" Vivian gave up, throwing both hands in the air. It was always difficult talking to her mom anyways. And woe betide the devil that compelled her speak in the first place.

Slowly she sighed at the blatant insensitivity of her family members who never missed an opportunity to mock her situation. But again, she comforted herself in God.