Chapter 2

A/n I'm so sorry for the long wait. I want to get better and I hope I can stop doing this song and dance every time. To anyone still reading this story, I'm sorry, thank you for waiting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Y/n POV

I leaned against a bookcase next to Alya. We were watching the selection for Max's partner for the Paris Ultimate Mecha Strike tournament. I had gotten knocked out of the running earlier. Max was Rank nine on his account, I was at seven, it wasn't going to be easy. I had taken the first round, but he had cleared house on the last two. Now it was Max versus Adrien, and Adrien was doing way better than I thought he would. I didn't know that he was so good at the game. I wasn't aware he had any time to practice at all given his schedule. 

I hear the door to the library open and see Mari enter. I give her a small wave which she returns. 

"What's going on?" She asks Alya. Alya puts her finger to her lips in an attempt to silence her. Rose explains the tryouts with Kim talking about how good Max is. Adrien manages to win the final round, putting his score above Max. I see the gears in Marinette's head turning. "Mari, please don't be thinking what I think you're thinking."

"But Y/n, this is my chance to spend time with Adrien! Oh, that would be perfect. Just imagine, teaming with Adrien!" 

"Please, Marinette. Max has been looking forward to this tournament for months. You can hang out with Adrien another time. You can invite him to study or something." But she just brushed past me and asked if she could have a go. I sigh and put my head in my hands. 

Marinette makes short work of Max, not even giving him one match. Max puts on a mask of dignity and congratulates them, but I can see that he's really down. I go after him, hoping I can cheer him up. 

"Max!" I catch him at the bottom of the stairs, looking sullen and angry. "I'm really sorry Max. I tried to talk her out of it, but Mari is really competitive and can be really stubborn. 

"It's not your fault. If I was just a bit better this wouldn't have happened. Thank you for your concern, but I would like a bit of time alone." I nod slowly and walk back to the library. Marinette and Adrien have decided to go to Mari's house and practice, Adrien inviting me to come with them, complimenting me on my showing in the tryouts. I wave his praise off, reminding him that he did a lot better than me. "I'm surprised you're that good. I didn't even think you had time to play video games!" Adrien laughs good-naturedly at my joke, and we all start walking out of the building. 

"Sorry, Mari," I say in a low voice. "No alone time with your crush."

-----------------------------------------------------

After helping Marinette hide all her pictures of Adrien, Adrien arrives and I ask them if I could have a match with Adrien since I didn't get the chance. They both agree, and I queue up a local match. I pick my favorite fighter, a rushdown character and ready up while Adrien chooses a bit more carefully. 

Once the match starts I begin pressuring him with a simple combo. Adrien keeps his defense up and doesn't give ground. I keep throwing combos at him but he doesn't try anything risky, patiently keeping his guard up. I try a high low mix-up, but he saw it coming and anti-airs into a full aerial combo. Once he launches me down he pulls out a special and brings me down to about quarter health. I try to pull of a Dragon Punch on wake up but he blocks and takes me down during my recovery. 

I turn to Adrien and shake his hand, handing my controller to Marinette. They play a few team matches while I watch. 

Adrien compliments her after a while. Mari brushes it of as her being lucky. Tom pops in and offers cookies. I grab one and toss another to Adrien, who thanks me. 

Marinette turns back to Adrien. "Actually, you know what? I've got a secret." She pulls out a small lucky charm with a few beads on them. "This is why I win." 

I can't help but stare at the lucky charm. I'm shocked. It's the lucky charm I made for Marinette in grade school. I can't believe she kept it all these years. I made two of them and gave one to Mari. I still got embarrassed when I remember how awkward I was when I gave it to her. I keep mine with me at all times. I put my hand in my pocket and hold it gently. 

"Are you messing with me?" Adrien is pretty skeptical. Marinette offers him the chance to play a match with it. 

"Here. You can have it. I don't need it anymore." When I hear that, my heart sinks to the floor. I can't believe she would just give it away. I know it's stupid, I didn't even expect her to keep it for this long. But it still hurts. 

Tom comes in and offers us some food, and we all agree to take a quick snack break. 

"Mari, can I talk to you?" I can't help it. She asks Adrien to wait downstairs for her. I head to the roof through the skylight. "Did you really give him your lucky charm?"

"Yeah? Why wouldn't I? Oh wait shoot! You gave that to me. I'm sorry Y/n. I didn't mean to-"

I cut her off. "Don't worry about it. It's not that big of a deal. Like you said, you don't need it anymore. Anyway, I'm heading home. I'll see you later." I take a running start at the railings and leap onto the adjacent building. Marinette waves to me for a bit longer and heads down to meet up with Adrien.

----------------------------------

A/n

I wonder if anyone will read this. Again, I'm very sorry for making you wait. I hope you enjoy. Peace.