Chapter 5

A/n: So this is weird. I've just been in a creative mood and dumping my ideas into words. I don't think regular uploads will be a consistent thing though. Sorry. But let's enjoy this second wind for now.

-------------------------------------

Y/n's POV

I arrive at the bakery pretty early. Today's Marinette's birthday, and it's my job to keep her occupied while everyone sets up the party. Outside is a woman on a motorcycle. The bike seems familiar, but I can't put my finger on why.

"Good morning!" Marinette seems to be trying to get her parents to slip up about the party. 

"Hey Y/n!" Mari has a mischievous smirk on her face, like she has everything figured out. But whether or not she does, I'm not going to let her prove it. 

"Hey Mari. Happy birthday. I have some tickets to that new movie you were talking about. Wanna join me?" 

"Sure! If that's really where we're going." She giggles childishly, convinced she knows the whole picture. Time for an Oscar worthy performance.

"Uh, yeah? Where else would I take you?" My face is a mask of polite confusion, and she seems to be a bit put off by my response. Nice.

The doorbell rings just then, startling us. Strange, it can't be anyone setting up the party. We've been planning this for weeks. Marinette gets the door and reveals her grandmother, Gina.

"Grandma!?" "Mom?" "Gina?" "Ms. Gina?"

Marinette throws herself in her grandma's arms. Gina pulls out a shirt for Mari that's a bit too small for her. Gina goes on about her plans for Mari's birthday. Oops. 

"Hi Ms. Gina. Do you remember me?" It's been a while since I last saw her. 

"Of course I do! How could I forget Marinetta's best friend!" She wraps her arms around me in a hug and offers me a candy. I really shouldn't, buuuut... it is a special occasion. 

"Well, I was planning on taking Mari to the movies. I didn't know you would be here or I would've rescheduled." Gina looks downfallen at that. I hate making people sad. Time to turn this around.

"Well, I suppose I did arrive on short notice. Have fun, Marinetta."

"No wait, Ms. Gina! I spend a lot of time with Mari, this is the first time you've seen her in years. You can spend the day together. If you don't mind, can I join you though?"

Gina's eyes sparkle at that. Crisis averted. Hopefully. "Of course you can! We have so much catching up to do! You've gotten so tall!"

"Thank you. I'll just drop by the movie theater and give the tickets to someone else, and then I can meet you at the zoo. Is that okay?"

"Sounds like a plan." Nice. Today is going to be great.

--------------------------------------------

I spent the day with Gina and Mari, and it was pretty fun. Marinette was pretty distracted the whole time. I wish she would just enjoy today rather than worrying about a surprise party that she doesn't even know is happening. 

Alya calls her, and Gina seems upset that Mari doesn't want to spend time with her. Mari runs off after giving Gina a hug.

"Ms. Gina, I'm really sorry. If I knew you were going to be here today, I would've suggested we moved the party by a day." Gina puts on a brave face, but I can tell she's upset that Mari left her.

"Don't worry my boy. I get it. Marinetta is getting too old to spend time with me." This is really sad. Dang it Mari.

".... I'm sorry, Ms. Gina. I'll see you later." Reluctantly, I start chasing after Mari before she leaves me behind.