Chapter 48

The League of Villains did not have Kurogiri any more. Shigaraki's personal transport was captured elsewhere by Gran Torino while the raid at Shie Hassaikai's base was being carried out.

Despite of Kurigiri's capture, the league wasn't deterred in the slightest. They still had someone who could get them out of trouble.

My search for the 'quirk scientist' brought some interesting results.

'Kyudai Garaki'

The quirk doctor whose hospital mother and I had visited when my quirk had manifested.

I had been researching entire careers of senior quirk doctors. In such an advanced technological age, almost everything could be found on the internet.

No matter which doctor's career I looked into, all had ups and downs in their files. All except one Kyudai Garaki.

From birth to the point he became a world renowned quirk doctor, his life had been perfect. Except the 'fact' that he was quirkless. There was not a single blemish in his career.

It was perfect.

Too perfect.

'Perfection is idealistic. It's not true. Nothing is perfect. And if something seems perfect, then, there are lies hidden beneath to make it perfect.'

I immediately picked my phone up and typed an email to Nighteye.

[Sir,

There's a file attached to this mail. Please, read it thoroughly.

'Perfection can never be achieved. If perfection exists, then, it is false.'

(Quirk_Doctor.pdf)]

(BNHA)

I did not receive any return mail. Just a text message that said, 'Don't look into it anymore.'

I understood why Nighteye told me not to. Even though I had  been doing all the search incognito, there were ways to know who was searching about whom.

My job was done. The doctor was under Nighteye's microscope and a master strategist like him would choose the best time to attack.

Meanwhile, I busied myself with further strengthening myself. All for One was being held in Tartarus and there was no other villain in Japan who could challenge me. But, I didn't want to get complacent. As long as All for One was alive, the country and the world as a whole was at risk of anarchy.

I had to get stronger.

My teleportation ability needed further refinement. I needed it to be faster and ultimately include it into my fighting style. Along with that, I needed to channel my emotions the right way. I couldn't let them control my actions.

I couldn't let what happened in Hosu city repeat itself.

'A hero's primary job is saving lives. Aprehending the villain is always secondary. The masses may dislike you for letting the villain go. You just have to keep saving lives because you are cursed with caring too much. I care... that's why I want to be a hero.'

A true hero is one who.Gives.A.Damn.

'Shigaraki, Kyudai, All for One... As long as I am alive, you'll never reach your ultimate goal.'

(BNHA)

The weather was changing.

With All Might having retired, Endeavor had risen to the top. He had changed... a little. With his goal achieved, he was less of a bitch than he used to be.

He was on the path of redemption.

He came to light again with an attack from another Nomu in the city he was patrolling.

There was something different about the Nomu. It could vaguely form words. Which meant that it had some sentience.

Along with that, the Nomu was stronger than any I had ever seen.

Endeavor struggled a lot. It was truely a desperate battle for the new number one hero. Although he had help from Hawks, the number three hero, the battle proved to be Endeavor's toughest one yet.

With a heavily injured face, he was finally able to finish off the Nomu.

But, out of nowhere, out came Dabi, a member of the League of Villains. Hawks and Endeavor were gassed out. They were too injured and exhausted to fight another villain.

When Dabi attacked, he was intercepted by Mirko who had seen Endeavor fight and had made her way to the city in order to provide assistance. With her there, Dabi chose to run away and just like the time at the bridge, he managed to get away.

In the aftermath of the battle, the response from the public was mixed. The disappointment was clear as day. Heores had yet again failed to stop the League and only managed to get a Nomu. The continuous failure of heroes was weighing down upon the masses.

It was just a spark. But, the effects of All Might's retirement were beginning to show.

Public distrust in heroes was beginning to show.

(BNHA)

"Alright. Today will be a busy day. Everyone, suit up your hero costumes and come to 'Athletic Field Gamma'."

Soon, we arrived at the field.

"So totally pumped for this!!"

"Aren't you cold, Hagakure?"

"Totally freezing!!"

"Toughing it out, huh?"

As everyone talked about the changes in their costumes and their winter varations, I was staring intently at Katsuki who was staring back at me.

"You've got something to say to me, nerd?"

I raised a brow and said, "Are you sure you want to be a hero? You look like a walking grenade. Should I notify ATS?"

"Pfft!"

"Huhhhhh?! You wanna go?! I'll kill you, shitty nerd!!"

As our banter continued, an annoying noice permiated through the air to our ears.

"Oh? Are we slacking off? Is that your way of underestimating us?"

Kirishima looked over at the annoyance and replied, "Nope. We're not underestimating anyone! Just excited!!"

"Is that so? Too bad for you.. The tides are rolling our way now. Here me, class A!! Today's the day we settle this rivalry!!"

It was Monoma... followed by the embarrassed faces of the rest of class B.

Monoma continued his deranged rambling, "Check out this survey I took at the cultural festival!! Which did people preffer-- Class A's dinky little concert or class B's ultra high quality theatrical production?! Well, take a look!! You've been hogging the spotlight like pigs in a slop like--"

And that's all he sang.

Everyone looked at me knowing it was I who made him faint and begin to comically froth from his mouth.

I just shrugged and said, "He called us pigs."

Aizawa, who had arrived a few moments ago, sighed as Vlad King said, "We have a special guest here today."

"So try not to make a fool of yourselves. He's hoping to transfer to the hero course.."

'Ah.. It's him..'

"It's Hitoshi Shinso, from class C of General Studies."