Serendipity

Officer: "Newborn. Caucasian female. Five, six pounds tops."

Elliot: "Tossed down the sewer."

Officer: "If the water had been any higher, the little tyke would've been washed out to the East River." he informs as they bend down to take a look at the body

Elizabeth: "Umbilical cord's still attached. Tied off with dental floss."

Elliot: "We got a home birth."

Olivia: "Newborns. 10 times more likely to be killed the first day of life than any other time."

Elliot: "So odds are we're looking at a mom who freaked out?"

Elizabeth: "There's no obvious trauma. ME here yet?"

Officer: "En route. But the guy that found it is a doctor. Knows a thing or two. Endocrinologist."

Man: "Actually, uh, I'm an entomologist. I was studying larval activity, and I found a blowfly on the body."

Elizabeth: "Maggots."

Man: "Freshly laid. Which tells me she had not been down there more than 3 hours."

Olivia: "Well, if it was the mom, she couldn't have traveled far this soon after delivery."

Elliot: "If she lives nearby, shouldn't be too hard to find a new mom missing a baby."

•••

Man: "Yeah, we got a tenant about to pop. Name's Brianna Morris. Moved into 2-H three months ago."

Olivia: "Who with?"

Man: "Nobody. So she said. Didn't mention she was pregnant."

Elliot: "It's a hard thing to hide."

Man: "Well, she wore bulky clothes. When it became obvious, I made a passing inquiry. She denied it."

Elizabeth: "How old is she?"

Man: "Uh, early 20s."

Elliot: "Boyfriends?"

Man: "No. Not that I was introduced to. Miss Morris. I got a leak down in 1-H. Got to check your pipes" he smirks, exchanging a look with the three before opening the door "You there? Miss Morris, I got some people with me."

Elizabeth: "Guys" she calls out, walking further into a room where she finds Brianna lying on the bed "I don't think mom got rid of the baby."

Olivia: "I don't think she made it out of the delivery room."

Elizabeth: "No pulse." she sighs

Oliiva: "Then who dumped that baby?"

•••

Warner: "Someone helped deliver that baby. Even cleaned up the afterbirth."

Elizabeth: "So how did he kill her?"

Warner: "I can't rule yet that anyone did. Like mother, like daughter. I have got no obvious cause of death on either."

Elizabeth: "You think they might have died in childbirth?"

Warner: "You rarely see it nowadays. But mom could have had a blood or amniotic fluid clot, even a stroke. I'll let you know after the autopsies."

Fin: "Phone line works. She could've called for help."

Munch: "Killers don't usually encourage that."

Fin: "Killers usually cut the phone lines and don't wait around for labor."