Poison

Wendy: "The doctors said if she survives, she'll be brain-damaged."

Olivia: "Now, were you with your niece when she got sick?"

Wendy: "My brother called, frantic. Alexis wasn't breathing. Pete wanted me to meet him here, to help take care of the kids while they talked to the doctors."

Elliot: "How long has Alexis lived with them?"

Wendy: "He and Karen adopted her from Romania last year when she was three. And these two were a surprise. They were born right after the adoption. The hospital called you because they think Alexis was poisoned."

Olivia: "What do you think?"

Wendy: "My sister-in-law did it. She's so cruel to her. Never a kind word, never a kiss or a hug."

Elliot: "And how does she treat the other children?"

Wendy: "Karen dotes on the twins and Katie. Alexis she sees as a burden."

Olivia: "How old is Katie?"

Wendy: "Seven."

Olivia: "Do you think she might be able to tell us what happened?"

Wendy: "She loves Alexis. I hope so."

•••

Elizabeth: "Can you tell me what happened when you came home from school today?"

Katie: "I watched SpongeBob."

Elizabeth: "I love that show" she smiles "Where was Alexis?"

Katie: "In the corner in the kitchen."

Elizabeth: "Why was she in the corner?"

Katie: "When she's bad, mommy puts her there and makes her practice her numbers. She can only count to ten, so she has to do it over and over and over."

Elizabeth: "Well, what kind of bad things does she do?"

Katie: "Today she wrote on the wall with a crayon."

Elizabeth: "Hmm. Did you see Alexis drink or eat anything bad today?"

Katie: "She drank the soapy water."

Elizabeth: "What soapy water?"

Katie: "Mommy gave Alexis a pail to wash the wall. She was crying, so Mommy put the sponge in her mouth. She kept spitting it out. Mommy got mad." she informs, making Elizabeth grit her teeth in anger

Elizabeth: "And when your mom got mad...what did she do then?"

Katie: "She made it all soapy again and put it back in her mouth. Alexis was coughing."

Elizabeth: "Then what happened?"

Katie: "She threw up. She kept trying to sit down, but Mommy made her stand in the corner again. When Daddy came home, Alexis fell, and she wouldn't get up."

Karen: "Katie?" she calls out, rushing over to the pair as Elizabeth exchanges a look with Olivia and Elliot

Katie: "Mommy."

Karen: "The doctor said that you needed to see us."

Olivia: "Why don't you let Katie say good night to Alexis?"

Wendy: "Come on, sweetheart." she smiles, leading Katie down the hall

Pete: "What's wrong?"

Olivia: "We'd like both of you to come to our precinct."

Karen: "We have to get the children home."

Elizabeth: "If it was up to me you'd never see those kids ever again" she scoffs, grabbing hold of Karen's arm "You're under arrest."