Chapter 16

I furrowed my brows and sat down. Huffing, I logged onto the computer at my desk and did some homework. Can't ever forget about homework, now can I? I started doing solving a problem and my eyes flicked over to the folder for one second and I just started to stare.

I blocked everything out and just glared at it. The paper that is in that folder, could change my life forever. I could say yes, and get away from Jen. That would be great, but what if this kind of life isn't all it's cut out to be? What if I say yes, and then something horrible happens. What would I do then?

If I say no, I could just go back to Jen. Everything would go back to normal. I would only see Tony for the internship. But then it would be awkward, like, really awkward. I don't know what to do. I know I have time to decide, but I can't.

Realizing I really need to get this off of my mind for now, I turn back towards the computer and finish the homework I started. It's not much it's just a small assignment for computer engineering.

Finishing up my assignment, I yawn and look at the time. It's only 8:30. But it's been a long day so I guess it would make sense for me to be a little tired.

I stand up and grab the envelope. "I'm gonna go to bed. I'm pretty tired."

"Alright kid. Get some sleep." Tony said, looking over at me.

"Yeah, I'll try. Night."

"Night."

I headed upstairs and to my room. Getting into my room I turned on a lamp on the bedside table and changed into pajamas. I turned off the lamp and hopped in bed. Today has been pretty good, actually. Definitely the best Christmas in a few years.

I close my eyes and just lay in the silence for a minute. Yawning, I realize what I have to do. I have to say no. Tony and even everyone here has been super nice and supportive. But I think I'll be alright now. I don't need their support anymore.

I've spent my time here and it's been well spent. It's been amazing. But it's not my life. I can't do that to them all. If I said yes, I would change their life forever too. And I don't wanna do that to them. I don't want them to have to help me with my problems.

I roll over onto my side and sigh. I'm gonna miss this bed.

Time Skip

"I can't believe Pepper really sent us to the store." I say, looking over at Tony.

"I know. What were we even supposed to get again?"

"Uh," I look down at the list that she gave us, "celery, carrots, potatoes, milk, and cheese."

"Hm. What if we grab some other stuff too?"

"Like what?" I ask, walking down the grocery aisle.

"I don't know. If we see something we want we'll just grab it."

We continue walking down aisles grabbing the groceries we're supposed to get. Along with some other stuff we find.

"Grab some root beer, we'll make floats later." Tony says, looking over.

"Ooh, okay." I walk over and grab a 2 liter of root beer. I put it in the cart and we continue our hunt for the rest of the ingredients Pepper wanted.

I look back and see a man in a dark blue hoodie behind us. I noticed him in another aisle behind us but I didn't think about it.

"Tony." I whisper.

"What."

"That guy behind us has been following us."

He goes to look but must realize that's not a good idea because he stops himself in his tracks. "He's probably just some crazy fan. Don't worry about it."