chapter 13

After getting the third degree from Reggie and chatting about his giddiness over his girlfriend, we said our goodbyes and I proceeded to walk back to the Shaw residence in the smothering cold as the sky was engulfed with clouds and persistent chilly breezes.

It had only been 7 pm but the night sky made its entrance within minutes and I had just lied to Reggie that I would take a taxi if the darkness increased but a part of me knew I needed the slowest way back for my mind still needed to breathe.

The woods were dark along with a blanket of fog covering the trunks of trees, I feared the darkness although my addiction to walking made a stronger case. The cold wind had no mercy on my skin and caused every inch of me to shiver but the night had me mesmerized that it didn't matter if it had been snowing I'd still choose to walk in the moonlight to greedily bathe in the glory that was the night. I tried to gather my thoughts on what I'd have to do next regarding the mystery that was the Shaw complex, it had dawned to me that Damian was not as eager to spill his guts as Harry so effortlessly did but then again he lived off of my shear despair, what a sadistic piece of sh...........

a sudden crackling of dry leaves pulled me out of my not-so-pleasing thoughts, my anxiety would make for an annoying companion in the darkened woods of Grace field.

'' is someone there?'' I softly whispered as if I had been worried about frightening whoever or whatever it was.

the tiny hair on the back of my neck rose at attention as my pupils shot wide open to see a silhouetted figure standing 3m in front of me motionless as if it were an illusion brought on by the perfect horror movie scenery. 

'' hello.......Uhm who's there'' I asked as I slowly moved back trying to create a healthy distance between me and the shadow. no response. 

my heart sank with every agonizing millisecond of silence between me and the shadow.

'' This job is making me lose my mind'' I frustratingly whispered as I rubbed my eyes, I frowned as I noticed the shadow seemed closer than before as it hid behind the revealing spotlight of nature's lamp.

I spun around and bolted without giving my mind the chance to register the fear brewing in the pit of my stomach. fortunately, I found myself at the Shaw residence doorstep catching a much-needed breath as I aggressively pounded at the door praying that the shadow had not teleported to the driveway as I shamelessly begged myself not to release a strongly held wail I held in my throat since my gold medalist sprint from the woods.

I heard the click of the door as it pulled away from me causing a hard impact against warm skin...I was reluctant to look up at the human wall but heard a warm tone

''Hermosa?'' the devil uttered the word as though it were an innocent compliment.

my mind was racing with adrenalin and fear so I must have not realized I had moved passed him and swiftly went up the stairs to my bedroom shutting the door right behind me.

Damien POV

I was left standing like an underpaid doorman as she walked passed making no efforts to exchange eye contact. I set my jaw animatedly as I made my way up the stairs to confront her for such an odd manner. her door was closed and a part of me thought it be respectful to knock but another part  didn't give a crap about being respectful when desire turned me into an impulsive caveman that craves her intoxicating scent.

I barged in to find her sitting on the bed staring at the ceiling, she wore that damn slip that made every inch of me want her!

''Hermosa?'' I said softly as I walked over to her and placed my palm on the side of her face forcing her to look at me. she seemed alert and scared....was she scared of me?

''Damien I can't do this.... if you want to humiliate me do that tomorrow'' she spat the words with venom as she stood up and stared me dead in the eyes.

I sighed before pulling her by the waist, leaning down I took in the heat radiating from her body. placing my forehead against hers I gripped her waist before tilting my head to the side.

''shit, he's not going to forgive me for this,'' I said softly and pressed my lips against hers before she could question me about what I said