chapter 1 |the day's fresh brew

The wind had no mercy on the small town of Gracefield. I knew I had to get going I could still hear my mother's voice creeping into my subconscious

" Elizabeth! The day has no mercy on the slugger " she would say with a stern expression.

never quite understood what she meant but I knew when that expression came through she wanted me to stop being lazy hence the term slugger .

My days had been entertained by my odd job of looking after mentally ill residents who had as much money to buy privacy and had not needed to check themselves into a mental institution.

Mom always said "that's not a real job plus how do you expect to find yourself a life long partner with that job of yours?" This alone made my eyes roll back so far I could see my own thoughts.

I told her I wasn't big on marriage and never pictured myself walking down an isle reciting corny poems of everlasting love with a man I claimed to love more than breathing!

Today was a usual day, grab a cup of coffee from Raggie Mansons café along shepherds street on my way to Mrs Ranolds house.

"Ah! Elizabezth the shrink what crazy bastard are you gifted with today"

Raggie smirked as he made the oh so amusing remark while failing at an attempt of what seemed like a curtsy.

His blonde hair had been combed to one side as per usual, he wore faded denim shorts which showcased his sculpted legs from running track back in high school.

Raggie Manson was one handsome unfortunately smug bastard who pulled off plain white shirts ever since his now girlfriend Natasha Ferrous complained about colours being an illusion.

She'd never had the brightest bulb in the room and no doubt dating Raggie she'd have any luck at it.

"Mrs Ranolds isn't crazy she just has Alzheimer's "

Raggie rolled his eyes so far back I bet he could see the peanut he called a brain.
"Al...z...he....whatever to me that old goat is crazier than your cooking " he laughed and made a gagging face.

"Keep making coffee Ragenold im sure that's an easy task to complete rather than straining your brain by thinking" I gave him a mischievous smirk knowing Raggie for 7 years now he hated his "formal" name as he called it.

"Haaa! One coffee with no sugar and no milk coming up.....sweet Elizabeth Watson if I didn't know any better I'd think your pay check must be smaller than a grain of rice if you keep buying such depressing beverages like a beggar. "

"Ooo look who updated their vocabulary....beverages what happened to leave soup or edible mud soup...I see Natasha taught you well" we made light of each day making playful comments about each other.

"I try my best Dr Watson " the voice had a soothing accent that felt like smooth jazz on the eardrums.

Natasha Ferrous came strutting in wearing a Sun dress which complimented her long lean legs and perfectly sculpted cleavage with that caramel skin tone that matched her hazelnut eyes. How in the name of hell did Raggie manage to get noticed by a woman who oozed sex appeal and intelligence.

"Babe don't mind plain Jane over here she's caught some nasty flu called loneliness " he gave me a pout of sympathy. The idiot!

" Good morning Natasha my apologies but I have to get going " I grabbed my coffee from Raggie's hands and waved them goodbye.

On my peripheral vision I could see Raggie grinning "the crazies won't cure themselves Elizabeth "

"Screw you Ragenold!"