chapter 3

"Elizabeth!!!" The loud voice rang in my ears like a speaker phone. Where did that noise come from? I threw the blanket over my head and ignored the call.

"Elizabeth Nolia Watson wake up you over slept!"

My mother's voice caused my eyes to shoot open immediately. I threw the blanket off my bed and attempted to swiftly roll out of bed but fell flat on my back.

My moan of pain made my mother burst into laughter..What a sadist

"What....What time is it mother?" I asked while quickly undressing to take a flash shower

"10:09 dear...hurry up Nolia"

What no! Crap I didn't even land the job yet and I'm already tardy. I took a quick 5min shower and opted to wear the cream business suit I had worn on my graduation it set fittingly so I matched it with white low heels and a pure white body suit .

With my hair in to side plaits i grabbed my portpolio and ran downstairs to the living room

"Bye mom love you" I kicked the door open like a trained martial arts master

"Good luck bear!" My mother shouted from the door as I sprinted like a gold medal Olympian.

I'd been to Mabel street once but never knew about the house at the end of the woods

It would take me at least 20mins to get there on foot if I kept my steady pace in check.

20mins later

The house was huge! The walking path had been made of complete marble and decorated with green potted plants on either side of the path if I hadn't been late I'd have spend at least 10 mins admiring the beauty of this residence.

The path made a curve and in its centre were flowers and roses I'm sure I couldn't pronounce.

I walked up to the front door and rang the bell. While awaiting for an answer I scanned the row of 5 different cars that stood neatly parked on the side of the house.

The door swang open and I was gifted with dark eyes staring straight into mine

"Good morning you must be Mrs Watson..." My puzzled look must have given her the impression that I was wondering how she'd known my name

She had strawberry blonde meduim length hair curled to the side and wore an innocent facial structure. She was dressed in the usual black and white maid attire and black flats

Clearing her throat she added " Em....My apologies ma'am Mrs Ranolds informed us you'd be coming in this morning " she said with the most angelic smile I'd ever seen surely she'd been at least 18 and desperate to get a decent salary like me.

I reached out my hand "call me Elizabeth....I apologize for my lack of punctuality I over slept " I gave her an apologetic smile

She shook my hand and shifted slightly "right this way Elizabeth " she directed.

The house was decorated with fine wood, the walls were painted in hazelnut, from the door there was a hallway with different artistic paintings but no photographs of the family

"Excuse me" I whispered to the innocent girl "Why aren't there any pictures of the family ?" She turned and gave me a distant look followed by a dull facial expression.

" right this way ma'am "

Ma'am? Really, you'd think putting on a suit would make you seem younger. I'm only 25 plus I thought we agreed on Elizabeth.

We stopped at a door with a golden knob... no doubt these people were rich.

"This is the study. Mrs Shaw is waiting for you inside ma'am "

"I prefer Elizabeth" she nodded and walked off into another room.

I composed myself and fixed my hold on the portpolio before turning the knob.

The smell of lavender creeped into my lungs awakening my senses. The room was big filled with books on one end and a cabinet with different drinks on the other end.

In the centre of the room sat a woman with Brown hair that fell neatly to the back of her shoulders and clipped with a silver pendant. She was beautiful and looked at least 50 years old.

She stood from the leather seat wearing a charcoal suit and black heels with a warm smile.

"Good morning Mrs Watson I'm Grace Shaw" she extended her hand and shook mine.

"My apologies for arriving late I got....lost" no use telling the truth now.

"No worries you are right on time. You are the last candidate after all"

Last? I didn't even run into at least one candidate.

"Oh...that's good. ..I mean...er here's my portpolio" I nervously handed her the file and watched her flip through the pages with a light hum every page.

" I see you have three years experience working with mentally unfit patients and it says here..." She pointed at the bottom of the page causing me to move closer catching a whiff of her perfume...good heavens she smelled amazing! And I hadn't had time to get a decent perfume from the market.

"You studied at Mangford university very prestigious Mrs Watson....I'm quite impressed by the testimonials here which highlight you as a hardworking woman who is discreet "

She gave a smile of satisfaction before closing the portpolio and placing it on the table.

"Well you got the job!" Her smile was bright. It seemed odd that I got the job right off the bat without having to wait for at least a week, clearly the other candidatesdidn't fit the bill.

I felt so excited and couldn't stop grinning.

"Thank you ma'am you won't regret it" I shook her hand and gave her a bright idiotic smile.

"I'm sure I won't. Now I would like to introduce you to Damian" she walked to the door and turned the golden knob.

"Damian?" I asked as we walked up the stairs. So many rooms yet the house seemed empty and quiet.

We reached one of the rooms but before we entered Mrs Shaw swiftly turned to face me with a dead look on her face.

"Damian is my only child. He suffers from split personality which may seem strange but I assume this isn't your first dance with the mentally challenged " she gave a faint smile but continued " he is quite. ...difficult at times but can be managed "

"I have experience with such individuals and understand them by now" my expression changed from nonchalant to nervousness as I've only worked on a case like this as an assistant.

" glad to hear that. Now shall we?" She turned the knob of the door.

The light of the room flooded our eye sockets causing slight blindness for a good 5 secs.
The figure standing in front of us wore denim loose jeans that hung around the waist.

Bare footed and shirtless the figure gazed out of the window with both arms leaning on the railings. His broad shoulders and narrow back faced us , from what I could see he had dark wet hair.

Mrs Shaw walked in clearing her throat almost dramatically, no doubt to get his attention "Damian would it kill you to to wear a shirt for once?" I could sense the annoyance in her voice.

He stood up straight and didn't bother turning before replying " Ah mother is it a crime for one to be shirtless in one's own room?" That voice sounded familiar like a fresh brew of coffee in the morning. I probably should of made a quick stop at Raggie's , without my daily coffee I'm beginning to hear things.

"Not when there's a guest " she gave me an apologetic smile but I was more focused on Damian.

He slowly turned and gifted me with a white tooth grin.

Shit It's him!