Part 25: Speculate

Murder. 

MUrder. 

MURder.

MURDer.

MURDEr.

MURDER!

The word shoots from student to student, growing in stature with every pass until it looms large and loud around the Assembly Hall. 

Speculation spins round the room:

"OMG! Rodriguez isn't here!

"Neither is Dale, please God not Dale!"

"It's not Dale, he's at home with flu."

"Thanks Jenna, can't imagine school without Dale."

"Hey, Miss Cooper's not on stage..."

"SILENCE!" Hollers The Principle. 

Silence doesn't come; speculation still spins. It's spread from student to student with looks I read as: questioning, shock, excitement, concern, and some faces show fear.

"SHUT UP!” Roars The Principle.

His unfamiliar, unexpected vocabulary, switches off the noise. Stunned students stare at the stage. "That's more like it. Now, quit this Murder talk. This is exactly how rumour spreads. Mrs Kennedy has informed me of an incident, which myself and Mr Mulhall will investigate. I want you to remain in the Hall under the supervision of your teachers. And, NO cell phone use until we return."

As soon as the Principle and his Deputy leave, the Hall is once again filled with the whoosh of whispered words.

Casey looks at me – I note a question on the tip of her tongue. But it doesn't come; instead she grapples for the phone vibrating in her pocket. She finds it: drops, squats, slams the phone to her ear, and whispers fast, "Jess, not a good time. There's been an incident." Pause.

"WHAT? NO WAY! Jess, are you sure?" exclaims Casey, unaware her voice level has risen above the hushed buzz of our fellow students.

A female teacher hollers, "WHO is using their phone?" she shouts with an angry emphasis on the 'who.'

Casey remains squatting, looking up at Toby, she mouths, "SUGAR! " with a look I read as 'Help me.'

"Come on, you can't hide! Someone down the back. Have the good grace to own up," says the teacher.

Toby looks down at Casey and nods his head in the affirmative; she rises.

I read disappointment in the teachers face, "Casey, I expected better from you. Come, bring it here," she asserts.

The students remain mostly quiet as Casey makes her way to the stage, until she reaches Jenna and crew. I read the words that Jenna directs toward a girl standing next to her, "If there's an incident, her freak's behind it, for sure."

I guess she means me. I am the only flesh eating half dead thing in school. 

Casey stops abruptly. Jenna turns towards Casey and looks down at my friend, "Move onwards girlfriend, you're spoiling my view." Casey remains; for a moment, then talks, “Who’s my freak behind this incident that you know nothing about Jenna?”

“Move on girl.”

“I'm moving nowhere until you answer my question – did you listen to any of The Principles talk?”

“Sure did, I turned my phone off when told to.”

“That’s a technical point sweat pea. You lose on the big picture – don’t ever refer to my friend as a freak again, you hear me?” says Casey, with fire in her voice.

Jenna doesn’t answer back. She rubs her forehead. I note a slight quiver in her hand, and read a look of mild distress on her face. When she eventually speaks, it’s with a quiet tone, and a look I can't quite grasp, “Casey, you’re right. I’m sorry.”

“Sure I am; but I need to work on your apology before I accept it Jenna,” says Casey, moving onwards. Jenna grabs her arm, moves towards Casey and away from her crew, “I need to talk to you, spill some stuff. Find me some time – please?” she says, with a look I read as a kind of soft plead.

Casey ignores the angry requests from the female teacher demanding she forfeit her cell phone. She looks hard into Jenna’s eyes, “Sure Jenna, I’ll find time. But I gotta sort this out right now,” says Casey, nodding to her phone and moving toward the stage.

I see enough of Casey’s face to read suspicion regarding Jenna’s request.

Toby looks at me, “Did you get any of that Kirk?”

“Yes. Jenna says I’m the freak behind the incident, and then she wants to spill some stuff.” I reply. Toby reflects on my response with a look I read as puzzled.

.......

Casey doesn't make it to the stage. Her journey is interrupted by the return of The Principle and his Deputy. Their faces are pale with looks I read as concern and heavy burden. They rush toward the stage with urgency.

Casey returns to us. I read her relief at still having her phone. Toby whispers, “What did Jess say?”

“Check The Association App, I’m not saying it here. Can’t risk someone hearing it,” her words barely audible.

As Toby stares at his phone, I read his face. First there is disbelief that turns to shock and when he turns toward Casey, I read lots of questions, which contort his face into angry shapes.

“Keep it calm Tobes,” whispers Casey. His body begins a slow quiver. Casey takes his hand, "Calm it Tobes." He stares ahead, whispering to know one in particular, "Why? I wish it was me, I'm not important, I mean nothing." Casey squeezes his hand, "Tobes, contain it." He doesn't seem to be listening – "All the research work she was doing for The Association – for Kirk, for us," he looks at Casey, "have we lost that as well?"

The students within earshot turn and listen. Casey sees them speculate as to the meaning of their whispered words, "Enough Tobes, enough," she says, squeezing his hand tight. Her gesture does nothing to reassure Toby.

......

We are locked in The Assembly Hall while the Police investigate the incident.

As the time ticks by, the students become bored and irritable. I don't feel any of these things anymore. But what I do feel is the first small pang of hunger.

It's like a tiny tugging in the pit of my carcass. I can control this early stage of my cycle.

I should be OK; I'm not due a full feed until midnight. We'll be released by then – surely?

......

CNN NEWS:

We have some breaking news for you right now. Reports are coming in of a suspected Homicide at the Oregon School, Arlington High. First reports suggest the victim is an eminent, 41-year-old Doctor.  

A Police spokesperson has said that the students are being held in the school hall, while they search the building. They will not be released until Police are confident the perpetrator of the crime is not at the scene and the safety of all students is ensured.

Arlington High has been the focus of much Police and public scrutiny of late, due to bullying issues and the suspected abduction and release of a female student.

We will keep you informed of all further developments on this breaking story.