Part 34: Bang

I don’t fully understand what Toby doesn’t want me to see. He knows my status and the fact that whatever atrocities I witness will have little emotional impact on me.

I stand firm, hearing but not listening to his pleas for me to leave.

Associate Bradbury’s carcass continues to cackle and command  – “Do It Tobes! Your life really isn’t worth much. Blow your head off. Gay brains: soft, pink, and fluffy – they’re such a delicacy, what a treat for my first meal,” it says, while licking its lips in a grotesque and exaggerated manner.

I see a questioning look cloud Toby’s face, “Tobes. It’s calling me Tobes?” he says, the firearm still pressed firmly to his head.

 “Pull the trigger TOBES!” screams the carcass, with glee.

……

The bang of the firearm zooms through my ear-holes and ricochets round the reanimate basement.

The impact knocks Toby off his feet and sends him hurtling backwards. His carcass slams onto the concrete floor with a thudding force. A hot, smoking odor floods my nostrils, which is swiftly accompanied by the delicious smell of fresh blood.

The firearm comes to rest by Toby’s head, clouding smoke rising from its battered barrel.

I swipe the blood that pools by his head, it tastes: sweet, mild, kind – it tastes like Toby. A soft sadness accompanies the flavour – it is bittersweet.

……

Associate Bradbury’s carcass shakes and jolts with sudden violent movements. The head swivels from left to right with an increasingly rapid motion. Thick green gunk seeps from the: eyes, ears, and nose, splatting on the basement floor, infecting the space with a vile odor.

Without Toby to explain these actions and emissions, I assume this is the final stage of her reanimation.

I ready myself for the re-awakening. I won’t let this reanimate consume Toby – our battle will be fierce.

……

Casey sprints into the basement, “I heard a gunshot…” she stops and stares at Toby. Her body begins to shake, almost like Associate Bradbury’s carcass. Her quiver turns into a jelly legged jiggle as she wobbles towards Toby. I’m uncertain whether her trembling legs will carry her to his side, so I walk with her, in a protective manner.

……

Associate Bradbury continues to seep soup from every orifice. Casey is so consumed by her human feelings that she is oblivious to the other horrors that surround her.

I catch her as she collapses by Toby’s carcass and lower her gently to her knees. She wipes the blood that seeps slowly from his temple and looks at it closely – to ensure it is real. There is considerable hurt and guilt in her words, “Toby, I’m so sorry. I didn’t notice your despair. Why didn’t you talk to me…?” She continues to ask him question after question, until her tears take over, rendering her speechless.

Her tears mingle with Toby’s blood, creating a deliciously fragrant cocktail  – I’ll call it a Casetobe, a heady mix of two of my favorite friends liquids. I resist the urge to slurp it up; even I can understand that that would be wholly unacceptable under these circumstances.

Self Discipline – for a reanimate, this is real progress.

 …….

“I guess he’ll be OK, probably concussed from the impact of his fall.” Casey jumps at the sound of The Officer’s voice.

Her face takes on a look I read as pure hatred, “You shot him?” she shouts, her words drenched in spittle as they shoot from her mouth.