Part 21: Hurt Girl

Casey's response is driven by confusion, "Kirk, you're making no sense. You not having the procedure will hurt me – hurt us all!" She glances at Jess and Toby, searching for their support.

There's an awkward pause, before Jess literally jumps in, shooting upwards from the chair, her tone laced with a little anger – "You're lying Kirk!"

"I'm not. I don't want this procedure," I say, with as much passion as a half dead thing shackled to a table can muster.

Jess stands so strong. Even in my half-life I can feel the strength of her belief and insight, "You can't lie to me Kirk."

She sits back down, calms herself and begins – "Here's the thing Kirk, I'm gonna ask you some questions about your life, when you were Callum – and I want the truth – I can smell bullshit so strong Kirk – you got that?"

"Yes."

"OK. When you were alive, was there a girl you liked?"

"Yes."

"Did she like you?"

"I don't know."

"Why didn't you know?"

"Because I got killed by a drunk driver before I got the chance to ask her." Jess shakes her head, "I repeat, do not lie to me Kirk!"

Toby gently touches Jess, "Go easy, you're sounding real harsh." Jess ignores him, and remains relentless in her questioning, "What was this girls name?"

"Catriona."

"You were good friends with Catriona – right?"

"Right. Real good friends."

"What was the last thing you said to Catriona before you were killed?"

"I said – I'll see you tomorrow at school."

"They were your last words with Catriona?"

"Yes."

"And she never saw you again."

“No – I was killed."

'But you saw her again, didn't you Kirk?"

"Yes."

Casey kind of pops up. I read a mix of sad and angry on her face "Curb it Jess; you're being like the Police – interrogating him. I can't handle it!" Casey’s outburst softens Jess’s tone, "Case please; I have a point to make here. And, remember, Kirk doesn't have our full emotional range. He can handle my direct questioning, can’t you Kirk?" 

"Yes."

Jess's next question lacks her harsh interrogative tone, "Tell us about the last time you saw Catriona?"

I fix my eyes upwards and stare at the cold black ceiling of my basement; it's a fitting view for my answer.

"I remember my death clearly. As my soul ascended upwards I saw everything. The shock and horror of those who witnessed the violence of my ending. Mom and Dad's despair. As I floated further upwards, I saw my Grandmother, her hand reaching out for me. Then, I looked down, back to earth. I saw Catriona: crying so hard, wailing like an animal, freaking – telling her parents how much she loved me, how she couldn't live without me, she said I was her life – I had no idea she felt that way about me."

I continue to stare at the ceiling, “Then a blankness covered me – while my parents dealt with the Darkside. I recall no more of my life or death. You know the rest of my story.”