Part 5: Viral

I feel a pang of guilt for suspecting Dad of beating Toby

I feel a pang of guilt for suspecting Dad of beating Toby. He couldn't hurt a fly. I realize his nervousness in the car is because he's switched my surveillance camera and jolt pads off. I got through the hazing on my own, so he wants to slowly introduce me to semi Independence. Mom will be furious if she knows I'm on my own.

But, Dad knows I've got Casey to watch out for me. She's determined to see Dale brought to justice, "Let's see him try and charm his way out of this one. The guy thinks his good looks can get him off anything.  How could he sit in front of us and make up those lies?" she says, as we walk back to school. I focus on the words 'make up.' I turn to Casey, "Do I need to re-touch my makeup?" She smiles, "I mean 'make up' as in pretend something, to get himself off the hook. But, now you mention it, you could do with a little touch up." I feel a little pang of happiness, it's nice to have someone other than Mom who can help fix me when I begin to look socially unacceptable.

I keep my makeup in my locker, "Come on Kirk, we'll find an empty room, I'll give you a little re-touch before classes begin," says Casey. You see, my natural skin color is blue/grey, purple in parts – not nice.

Half way down the hallway that leads to the locker area, Casey stops abruptly, "Kirk, do you notice something?" she asks. I look around, "No, I see nothing." 

"Exactly," says Casey.

"I don't understand you."

"Kirk, class hasn't started yet, this place should be buzzing with kids. Where is everybody?"

We walk into the locker area, it's empty. I open my locker and give my makeup to Casey. I do notice the quiet, but it doesn't concern me in the way it does Casey, "This is weird Kirk," she says, while dabbing my face with a little 'light tan' base, my fall color. Casey's fingers, gently dabbing at my face reminds me of life; I feel a little bit sad, which is kinda nice, because I remember full sadness hurts like hell.

As Casey taps the finishing touches to my face, the School Principle turns the corner. "At last, there you are," he says, I read a look of anxiety on his face. "Have you been looking for us sir?" asks Casey. He takes an intake of breath, "Yes, I have – and very soon the whole of the States will be looking for Kirk."

......

He invites us into his office, "Please, take a seat." Casey speaks first, "Sir, I'm feeling freaked, this days totally surreal. Are we in some kinda trouble?" He gives a small smile, "No Casey, yourself and Kirk have done nothing wrong. It's myself that's in trouble, and rightly so." I read a touch of sadness in his face, he continues, "I need to apologize to you two. I wasn't aware of the bullying in Arlington High." Casey reassures him, "No sir, you weren't to know, it's Dale and Jenna's fault, they're the ring leaders." He continues, "I saw Kirk's hazing video, it's unsettled me. As the principle of this school, I should never have allowed it to happen."

I'm hit with a sudden hunger pang, and Dad's turned off my jolts. Dangerous. 

The principle continues, "I should update you on Toby; unfortunately he slipped into a coma today, his condition is critical......" Casey jumps in, "Yeah, and that meat-head Dale did it, for sure sir!" she says, while taking out her ipad.