Part 16: Stratagem

My Father rushes towards me with an urgency that takes me by surprise. He grasps my shoulders, spins me round and forces me towards the basement exit with a considerable force. We stop at the door that leads to Toby's kitchen.

I make no attempt to resist; I deserve whatever's coming my way.

Then, from the bowels of the basement we hear her wakening plea, "Help me, please can someone help me? " cries Jess – disorientation haunts her voice. 

I turn and make my way back down the corridor. Her life is worth more than my second hand existence.

Dad makes no attempt to stop me.

Half way down, an authoritative voice halts me, "No Kirk, STOP!"

Using my hands to shield my face, I turn – I don't want Casey to see me looking like death.

She walks towards me with an expressionless face.

Through my fingers I see her facial features take on their familiar glow – “It’s OK Kirk, your Dad’s explained everything. I know what I need to do. I’ll look after Jess – and you.”

Her smile and warm words flood my emptiness with something like hope – “Go and say sorry to your Dad, he deserves an apology, preferably accompanied by a hug.”

I waste no time in doing as I’m told.

……

CNN News:

A fifteen-year-old girl who wandered into a California Police station last night has today been identified as missing Oregon schoolgirl Jess Taylor. She is in what Doctors describe as a dissociative fugue, a type of memory loss, most probably brought on as the result of a head trauma.

Consequently Jess has no recollection of her missing six days. Her family has asked for privacy while Jess recovers. Police are continuing with their investigations.

……

When I here the rattle of the key in my front door, I shoot from the couch – I’m not ready to be seen! 

The door slams open and Jess bursts in, bringing a bundle of energy with her.

I read her visible shock at the sight of me, “Kirk – you look like crap without make-up,” she hollers. I correct her, “No – not like crap, like a corpse.”

“ I Left my make-up at Casey’s last night, can I borrow some of yours?” She throws me a look I read as disbelief, then makes a flourishing hand movement around her face, “Kirk – see this face, my personal space – it does not do paint. No – with this category One Responsive you gets what you see, people don’t like it, they can lump it. Make-up’s for cheer-losers. Now, go get me my book, I wanna read the last chapter before the others arrive.”

……

The Association say Jess is: Fully on board. She embraces her sixth sense and wants to use it as a force for good. They are impressed with her ability to convince her parents and Police of her amnesia. They say she’s one of the most valuable members of our team – which is why she has the key to my house – our home headquarters. 

……

"Perfect timing," exclaims Jess on hearing the doorbell trill. She puts down her book while I dart for cover. "Jeez Kirk, what's the problem," she asks, as I cower behind the couch like a frightened dog. "It's Casey," I say. "Sure it is, she don't bite; remember Kirk, you're the biter in this group," she says, peering down at me with a puzzled look. "I know, but I don't want Casey to see me without make-up," I say, doing my best to make my face take on pleading look. I read a look of horror on Jess’s face, "Kirk, are you OK? You look like – like you're about to take a crap!"