Part 27: Smell

When we move into the exit hallway, Jenna's twitching gets worse.

She grabs my arm, "Wait Kirk." Her tremble clashes with my fake beats, causing my carcass to shudder.

As the crowd snakes forward toward release, Jenna guides me into a side room.

We slip inside unnoticed.

The room is dimly lit and smells of detergent. The silence after the bustle of the releasing crowd rattles through my ear holes and hums inside my empty head.

Jenna sits on a metal crate. I note her trembling, and wonder if... "Jenna, are you dead?" I ask.

Her trembling begins to ease. She gives a small laugh, and nods her head in the way humans do when I say something they think is stupid, "Do I look dead Kirk?" 

"No."

"Then why ask?"

"To be sure you're not."

Jenna smiles; I read warmth in her wide white gesture, "Kirk, you're too cute."

Her eyes look directly into mine, "Can I ask you a personal question Kirk?" I don't know what a personal question is, so I just answer, "Yes."

"Are you and Casey sleeping together?”

“No, I don’t sleep with Casey,” I say with a big smile, happy I have the answer. Jenna’s smile grows bigger, “You’re naughty Kirk  – So, you do other stuff with Casey, right?”

“Yes, I like doing lots of stuff with Casey,” I smile big, again.

“Kirk, you’re making me blush.”

“Is that good?”

“I guess it is. What about Toby, do you do stuff with him.”

“Yes, I do, but I do more stuff with Casey.”

“You’re bi?”

“No, I’m Kirk.”

“I mean – you’re bi sexual?”

“No – I’m Kirk Russel.” Jenna shakes her head and laughs; I laugh with her.
“You’re a sweetie Kirk, a real sweetie,” she says, with a look I read as affection.

I really wish Casey were with me now.

……

After our laughter, Jenna’s face takes on a tone I read as serious. “Kirk, do you have Casey’s cell number? I need to send her a message, let her know we’re here – I really do need to talk to her.”

I recite Casey’s number to Jenna.

As she taps her cell phone, I read a pained look on her face. Even though Jenna is not a friend like Casey, I don’t like to see her hurt.

“Why are you hurting Jenna?” I ask. She doesn’t answer, instead she continues to tap her phone. When finished she looks at me, her eyes are tired and red, “It’s Dale. He’s different – changed into this raging hormone full of hatred. He frightens… aaaaaaaaaaaah!”