Chapter 21 - Ew, a Virus? What's that?

I promptly remove the skill, turning back to the chimera awaiting my attention.

"Well, that's been taken care of." I smile softly, trying not to forget about the severity of the situation.

"So, am I allowed to congratulate you on your victory now?" I stare blankly. "Absolutely not, I still don't think it was deserved."

He sighs in response, "either way, don't you think it's time for the awards ceremony?"

I'd completely forgotten, to be quite honest. Every year each contestant that had the honour of attending the awards ceremony always looked extremely happy or proud, especially the first. What about this year? It's not like I can just pretend I didn't want to kill my best friend.

My thoughts are suddenly interrupted by the sharp ringing of a phone. The generic ringtone, usually I'd expect Nezu to keep his on silence though.

Wait, that's my ringtone.

I scramble around in my pocket, taking out my phone and checking the contact name, mum was calling.

Completely forgetting about the impatient principal, I pick up, almost instantly pulling away the deafening squeals of excitement.

"Izuku! I knew you could do it! When's the awards ceremony starting? Is Katsuki okay? You need to fix your hair- Oh, oh, we are having a serious discussion about that quirk of yours when you get home, young man!" Oops, yeah.

"Mum? I think there's bad service. I'll call you later, bye!" I hang up, continuing my conversation with Nezu (as well as actually silencing my phone this time).

"Yeah, I think I'm ready for the awards ceremony."

— — —                       — — —                       — — —
With Mama Midoriya:

A green haired, middle aged woman is sat on the chair, phone to ear sniffing lightly.

"He's not gonna call me back, is he?"

— — —                       — — —                       — — —

"Thank you to everyone competing this year in U. A.'s 53rd annual sports festival event! We hope you enjoyed!"

Lined up were the staff helping with the first year event, with Mic in the middle commenting. The camera then switches to a podium where 3 boys stood on their own respected spots.

"In third place, Monoma Neito!" I look to my left, seeing my friend there, beaming towards the cameras as All Might places a medal over his neck. "You performed magnificently, and I'm excited to see the great hero you'll become!"

After watching the fight with Nezu, Monoma had beaten Shinso for the third place spot, but had requested he stood with near the podium to honour his hard work.

"In second place, Bakugo Katsuki!" To my right, the blonde stood quietly, looking at All Might. "Young Bakugo, while I know you're disappointed with the results, your achievements are truly something to be proud of, so chin up and enjoy the remainder of the festival!"

The giant man then moved in front of me, "In first place, and the winner of this years festival, Midoriya Izuku!"

I smile at the number one hero, while I wasn't too happy about it, it was nice to know I'd finally won.

"Young Midoriya, you did well in during the competition. Not every hero has what it takes to think rationally in each fight, as well as the skill to overcome their opponent, so we applaud your efforts this year."